DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sound projector-Does this really work

Old 08-30-06, 06:43 AM

Sound projector-Does this really work

Does anyone know if this is any good.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1126591860446
Does it actually work like it is suppose to?
The display sounded great at Best Buy
Old 08-30-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have not heard this item personally although I am skeptical. Ask about their return policy and if it is acceptable to you, take it home and try it out!
Old 08-30-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like it has received good reviews, but I am not sure how much bass you could get out of 2 4" woofers.
Old 08-30-06, 04:22 PM

Well, you can hook up a seperate sub to this speaker.
It sounded great at Best Buy.
It is hard to judge if the sound was bouncing off wall behind you or not because the store is so big.
I do like the idea of getting rid of my surround speakers, as long as I wouldn't have to sacrafice sound quality.
Old 08-30-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
I do like the idea of getting rid of my surround speakers, as long as I wouldn't have to sacrafice sound quality.
Well, I think you hit the nail on the head.

I have never heard it either and am no technology expert. I'm sure there are ways to simulate surround sound with speakers and software. I can't imagine them being as good as separate speakers.

Would it be "good enough", only you can decide
Old 08-31-06, 09:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

More people need to test this sucker out! I am tempted to try out the YSP-1000 and I can get it locally to test out but I don't have the $$ to keep it so I'm scared if it really is "good enough". That'll put me in a jam to try to keep it or return it regrettably.

A quick note about the quantity of drivers and "woofers".

YSP-800
1-5/8" x 21 drivers
3-15/16" x 2 woofers

YSP-1000
1-5/8" x 40 drivers
4-3/8" x 2 woofers
Old 08-31-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main problem with any sort of indirect or simulated surround sound is your location. I think this Yamaha is supposed to work best in a closed room so it can bounce sound off the side and rear walls. But I'm sure there are "hot spots" for getting good sound. And if you move over 6", good turns to bad. This also means it probably will sound very different from one room to another.
Old 08-31-06, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
I think this Yamaha is supposed to work best in a closed room so it can bounce sound off the side and rear walls.
No offense, but where do you think most home theaters are, in the back yard? I think 99% of people with home theaters have them in a closed room LOL. I know its not what you meant, but i couldnt help it. Could you please define what you mean exactly? Im semi intrested in these as well.
Old 08-31-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
No offense, but where do you think most home theaters are, in the back yard? I think 99% of people with home theaters have them in a closed room LOL. I know its not what you meant, but i couldnt help it. Could you please define what you mean exactly? Im semi intrested in these as well.
And I think you would be mistaken with that statistic.

I have helped a great many people both here and in my life that have less than ideal "theater" rooms. Vaulted ceilings, open walls, pass throughs, fireplaces, bay windows, bars . . .

Generally speaking this unit and others like it, from other companies that claim to do away with "extra speakers" are all going for one thing and it is not sound quality or accuracy. It is what we refer to as the SAF or "spousal Acceptance Factor". Show a woman a bunch of cables and speakers and you almost universally get a look of disapproval.

This unit no matter how it sounds deals with the acceptance and looks factor. Now having said that, I do not believe it will compare to a properly set up theater in an enclosed room.

Just look at the popularity of some home electronics and you will understand why it does not have to compare, only satisfy.
Old 08-31-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

I have helped a great many people both here and in my life that have less than ideal "theater" rooms. Vaulted ceilings, open walls, pass throughs, fireplaces, bay windows, bars . . .

Generally speaking this unit and others like it, from other companies that claim to do away with "extra speakers" are all going for one thing and it is not sound quality or accuracy. It is what we refer to as the SAF or "spousal Acceptance Factor". Show a woman a bunch of cables and speakers and you almost universally get a look of disapproval.

This unit no matter how it sounds deals with the acceptance and looks factor. Now having said that, I do not believe it will compare to a properly set up theater in an enclosed room.

Just look at the popularity of some home electronics and you will understand why it does not have to compare, only satisfy.
Excellent post Brian (as usual).

Back to the item, it seems incredibly overpriced. I think it's a decent idea but if it's truly going for the market it is clearly aimed at, it needs to be priced way less (like $200). This isn't the first attempt at a omni-directional single-space arrangement, so there's no need.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 08-31-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well all good points, just to tack on,

-While my dedicated media room is more or less a box (15 X 12 w/8' ceilings) my 2nd system in the living room is in a room about 45 X 20 w/ 10' ceilings (the room is actually 3 rooms, continuous in a open plan design). So I'm at 50%.

-SAF? Is that the politically correct name for WAF (Wife acceptance factor)? Oh when I cut a hole in a build in book case and had SIX 14 speaker wires and FOUR component type cables sticking thru, my wife about $hit! But 20 minutes later I had plates on that made it nice and clean looking and wife was fine.

-For that kind of money, you could get a pretty nice 5.1 system that, I would imagine would blow it away. Just get creative with running, hiding wires. So what if it takes you all weekend to run/hide all the wires, you don't have to mess with it ever again.

-I really can see no advantage to this system. Sure I understand the "convenience" factor, but again, who cares. You only have to run wires once. There are just to many disadvantages to go with it: cost, worse sound (maybe "good enough", etc). And what happens when you have a problem? You are completely down. If I blow a speaker, I just swap it out for another.
Old 08-31-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. I think a very large number of entertainment areas are in the living/family room. Many of these are anything but a simple 4 walled room, open to stairs, kitchen, dining area, etc. Another common form that Brian didn't mention is a large room where the TV area is only half or a third of the room. So, essentially no back wall. Which is important to this product, I believe.