DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Keeping Heated Objects On Carpet?

Old 08-28-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Keeping Heated Objects On Carpet?

I'm moving into a new apartment soon, and just wondering aobut the power brick for the 360, and a rather large power strip/line conditioner by Monster that sits on the floor... do you guys usually just get some wood or something to sit them on?
Old 08-28-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never had a problem with a power brick. I guess you could measure the surface temp of the thing and compare to carpet combustion points. Usually it's more of an issue for the device than for the carpet, circulation can be impeded on carpet, causing the machine to overheat. I'd be more concerned about the power conditioner than the 360's brick, if it's an active unit. If it has to be on the floor, a piece of wood cut to the same shape would probably be a good idea. Its own shelf in your rack or whatever would be the best plan. If it is just one of their passive surge protector strips, the floor should be just fine.
Old 09-03-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077627972545

That's the Monster Power thingy I have. I'm probably going to end up placing it on top of a piece of plywood or something if it won't fit inside the new TV stand I got. It just may fit there though... who knows. I won't know until I put the thing together when I move in October.
Old 09-04-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, don't worry about that. I mean, I guess better safe than sorry, but it really doesn't have anything inside that will be an overheating issue. I have the 2000 version of that, a few more outlets is about the only difference. Just touched it, it isn't even warmer than the wall, and my system has been on for about 6 hours, now. About the only one I'd worry about is:
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...%20Stabilizers