DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Throw and viewing distance for projectors

Old 08-26-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Throw and viewing distance for projectors

I have 2 rooms in my house that I can turn into a home theatre room. One is my loft the other is a medium sized bedroom.

My first choice is the loft as its 20'X22'. The downside to this room is that there's 3 large windows in the room and there's only 3 walls as one side is open to the stairs and hallway. The other room is 14'X12'. downside to this room is that its much smaller but only one small window and four walls. Both rooms have 8' ceiling heights.

Originally I planned on using the loft but I've been thinking of putting a pool table and small lcd or plasma in that room. The bedroom would have been used as a small media room/library. I also have a family room that alredy has a big screen tv in it so i thought 3 media type rooms would be overkill.

My only dilema with the bedroom is the size. If I have a 13' throw distance and about 12' viewing distance using a couple of chairs; how large of a picture can I get. I realize it depends somewhat on the projector used but I'm just trying to get a general idea if this room is feasible. My budget for the projector is approx $1,200.

Last edited by movieguru; 08-26-06 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
I have 2 rooms in my house that I can turn into a home theatre room. One is my loft the other is a medium sized bedroom.

My first choice is the loft as its 20'X22'. The downside to this room is that there's 3 large windows in the room and there's only 3 walls as one side is open to the stairs and hallway. The other room is 14'X12'. downside to this room is that its much smaller but only one small window and four walls. Both rooms have 8' ceiling heights.

Originally I planned on using the loft but I've been thinking of putting a pool table and small lcd or plasma in that room. The bedroom would have been used as a small media room/library. I also have a family room that alredy has a big screen tv in it so i thought 3 media type rooms would be overkill.

My only dilema with the bedroom is the size. If I have a 13' throw distance and about 12' viewing distance using a couple of chairs; how large of a picture can I get. I realize it depends somewhat on the projector used but I'm just trying to get a general idea if this room is feasible. My budget for the projector is approx $1,200.
You could use either, tho for the loft you might consider putting something else in the back instead of seats. Small dry bar with popcorn maker maybe?

My dedicated media room is right at 15.5X12, but I have a 2ft deep built in book case along one wall. The opposite wall is all windows (two large window and sliding glass door). I got heavy (but not black out) drapes at BBB for a reasonable price. I have two rows of seating, six theater chairs on a riser, within a foot of the rear wall, and a couch in front (I also have a love set in front of the sliding glass door, but that is temp). I use a DIY 94" WS.

We have several threads here about doing home theater, you might do a search or ask more specific questions (otherwise I'm just going to ramble for pages). BTW, I built my HT on a budget of $2,000 for everything but furniture. In the end I spent about $2,500 and while I'll slowly upgrade, I'm pleased with the results.

For PJ, you are too close in price to not seriously consider the Panasonic. There is also a thread here on the Mitsubishi that gets serious good reviews. Up your budget a little and build your own screen to make up for the difference. And Slayer will tell you all about CRT PJ's that can be had for half your budget.

Check out,

projectorcentral.com
Avsform.com
Old 08-26-06, 08:49 PM

Yes, your question is too PJ dependant.

As an example, I have a 4805 shooting an 88" image in an ~16'Wx17'Lx9'H living room.

I have the PJ at 14' from the screen just above my seating area. I project on an 88" screen because I'm limited by the width of the room (it is reduced by a ~3'W fireplace on one corner, and a ~1'W heating radiator and a ~3'W doorway on the other corner).

I have a 5'Hx9'L window on the wall opposite of the screen. It has been sealed with shades, blackout cloth and curtains. If I want natural light to come in, I open the main door and the dinning room's window (each located on one side of the 9' window).
Old 08-26-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm
is a great tool for figuring this stuff out.
Old 08-26-06, 09:02 PM
Banned

The room i use is 10x12, and using a Optoma H31 i am doing a 92" image no problem. Using a Panasonic AE900U, i can do almost 110" in the same area. However, most other projectors are longer throw with less zoom then these 2 projectors, so check the projector calculator available in the post above for exact info.
Old 08-26-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
The room i use is 10x12, and using a Optoma H31 i am doing a 92" image no problem. Using a Panasonic AE900U, i can do almost 110" in the same area. However, most other projectors are longer throw with less zoom then these 2 projectors, so check the projector calculator available in the post above for exact info.
Is the entire screen comfortably viewable from a distance of around 12'? would it need to be ceiling mounted or could it sit on a small platform?

I really only plan on putting 1 row of chairs in there, maybe 2 or 3 seats total backed up close to the wall.
Old 08-27-06, 05:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by movieguru
Is the entire screen comfortably viewable from a distance of around 12'? would it need to be ceiling mounted or could it sit on a small platform?

I really only plan on putting 1 row of chairs in there, maybe 2 or 3 seats total backed up close to the wall.
I have 2 chairs at the back wall with the projector next to the chairs (im using a Graywolf II screen, it has 1.8 gain in brightness but reflects that brightness back at the projector, so you need it table mounted, vs a normal white screen which is fine mounted on the ceiling) and i see everything fine, SDE is impossible to see in movies, for windows stuff you can see it if you stare at a white background, but for the most part, it looks amazing.

Whoever comes over to check out the setup is blown away and instantly envious of a projector setup.
Old 08-27-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My front row is about 11' and my rear row is 14.5 or so w/94" WS. Both rows work well. I go back and forth on which row I prefer. I have 8' ceilings and mounted the PJ on the ceiling between the two rows. Noise is a minor issue with my X1, but with a movie on, you don't notice. I do notice it more with TV (like the golf Tourny yesterday).

One thing you want to think about is the wiring. Will you be able to run wiring more easy in one room or the other? That might make a difference. Here is a pic of my current set up for an idea (if your interested - tho since this photo I have added a lot more posters, something to put your feet on, etc.)