DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker Question

Old 08-25-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaker Question

In 2001 I bought a Sony HTiB for $450. I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers and sub. I'm looking to spend <$800. For that price can I expect resonable improvement or should I wait until I can afford more? The will be used mostly for movies and games, and sometimes music.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not believe it would be worth it. Even if you could snag a deal on some good small speakers like NHT's, you would need a better receiver to power them.
Old 08-26-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at the Panasonic XR57 receiver and maybe pair them with orbs from Orbaudio.com?
Old 08-28-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the reciever alot. I'm going to wait to upgrade it until I can get one with the new HDMI 1.3 spec. I chrcked out some reviews for the Orbs. I'm just nervous that I'll be spending $$$ for not much improvement.
Old 08-28-06, 04:36 PM

The x-series packages from av123.com fit your budget and should give you a major improvement over your current HTIB speakers..even with your current receiver.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=92.1
Old 08-28-06, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I like the reciever alot. I'm going to wait to upgrade it until I can get one with the new HDMI 1.3 spec. I chrcked out some reviews for the Orbs. I'm just nervous that I'll be spending $$$ for not much improvement.
You would definitely notice more improvement by upgrading the whole package. However, considering the speakers are the "true" sound of your system, you will still notice a difference upgrading only the speakers. Considering you plan on upgrading your receiver down the road, I would say to pull the trigger.

Many people (including myself) upgrade a piece at a time. I didn't have surround sound at all, and took it at a much slower pace - receiver (with old speakers), then center, then sub, then fronts, then surrounds. Just think of it as a two stage investment for you - speakers first, then receiver.

Ideally, you'd do everything at once, but even if you take the staged approach, you'll still be making an improvement.

Get some suggestions for your price range, then do some listening, and make your choice based on YOUR ears.
Old 08-28-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by XavierMike
The Orbs have a full 30 day refund period. Give them a try. Most people seem to love them in comparison to the HTIB/Bose alternatives you find in most big box stores.
Old 08-28-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was reading over a obesewallet that you can pick up some Monitor Audio as pretty big discounts at Magnolia and CompUSA.

These are nice speaker and probably a little above your budget for a 5.1 system, but depending on models, you might be close.

However, not sure how they will react with your Sony, probably eat it for lunch, then laugh at you.
Old 08-28-06, 09:57 PM

I have a HK avr 430 new in a box that i am looking to get rid of for a good price. if your interested let me know. I went with the 630 instead.
Old 08-29-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
However, not sure how they will react with your Sony, probably eat it for lunch, then laugh at you.
Careful, people will start calling you a snob.
Old 08-29-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Careful, people will start calling you a snob.
I've been called worse...

And truly I mean it with love! Actually I mean it with personal experience. When I bought my Celestion speakers that were on close out, I bought them as I really knew the company and anticipated the sound. No, I did not put them in B&W, KEF or even some MONITOR AUDIO's class, but I figured they would sound good and were a great price.

However, when hooked up to my POS Sony HT Receiver, they sounded bright, no focus and very strained. I about returned them. Then I picked up a basic H/K unit and they just sang! No more tinny sound, no sounding strained and a very nice sound stage and depth to the music. I was so impressed, I bought another set of them for my media room (which of course meant getting another H/K Receiver)!
Old 08-29-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
POS Sony
Redundant.
Old 08-29-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Redundant.
Now who is being the snob?

(tho I guess not a snob if it is true)
Old 08-30-06, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've already been tried and convicted several times on this board. Although I do maintain exactly that parenthetical point. Truth hurts, apparently.