DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Suggestions for new VCR/DVD player?

Old 08-18-06, 01:50 PM

Suggestions for new VCR/DVD player?

The VCR on my Magnavox MWD2205 gave out; it stops recording or playing after about 30 seconds.

So I need a new VCR/DVD player. The Magnavox had what I consider an annoying feature: to make the programmed recordings run you had to press a special button. I'm used to VCR's that don't need a special set-up; just turn the unit off and it'll record the programmed recordings at the appropriate times. And if it records when you have the unit on and lose track of time, so much the better!

Also want to be able to play DVD's, VCD's, DVD+R, DVD+RW. DVD minus R and RW would be nice but not necessary.

Any suggestions? Any models with negative shortcomings you don't discover until you read the owner's manual?
Old 08-19-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why don't you just buy a DVD recorder and get away from VHS? If you have some stuff you want to keep; just borrow a friend's VCR and dub them onto DVDs.
Old 08-19-06, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
Why don't you just buy a DVD recorder and get away from VHS? If you have some stuff you want to keep; just borrow a friend's VCR and dub them onto DVDs.
Amen! You don't even realize what a PITA VCRs are until you have something nicer.

Get a DVD recorder or DVR (e.g. Tivo). You will be SOOOOOO much happier!

About 3 years ago, the gf started working retail, and would call me up every other day - "can you tape this tonight?" I got sick of digging through tapes all the time, and trying to set them up in the right spot. I bougt a Tivo, and have never looked back. They are worth every penny!

I threw my blank VCR tapes in the garbage...