DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Shelves

Old 08-16-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Shelves

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so moderators please move if it is incorrect.

I am looking for a wall type DVD shelf, that has adjustable shelves and can hold atleast 400 dvds.

Something like this:

http://www.mediastoragecenter.com/Pr...edia-Tower.htm

Except I don't want to pay $165 if I can help it. Anyone have any recommendations, besides building my own, where I can get a decent DVD wall shelf for cheap, either store or online. (I live in the midwest.)
Old 08-16-06, 07:31 PM

Search is your friend...
Old 08-16-06, 09:54 PM
Suspended

You can always buy one of these:

Its just two strips of metal in the back which screw into the wall. It has shelf supports which the shelves sit on and its a pretty nice looking thing to put your dvds on. Plus you can add to the brackets and shelves as your collection grows to increase the amount it holds.

I know iv seen it at Ikea and it comes in a bundle with screws, brackets, shelves, shelf support, and it isn't too expensive.

Hope this helps
Old 08-16-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those are decent, but I don't want to have to drill into the walls. Search was my friend, I think I am gonna go with the IKEA Billys
Old 08-16-06, 11:10 PM

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk with my original reply - I just know I've seen several similar threads (and I've posted to multiple concerning the Billy).

I just bought my second Billy unit. I'm a fan of the optional glass shelves - they make it look "sleeker". I just did a quick count, and I'm guessing I can get just about exactly 400 DVDs in one unit with the glass shelves. I've been very happy with my choice!
Old 08-17-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome, yea it is no biggie. So the one unit, without adding extra shelves how many DVDs can it hold? I assume when you say it can hold 400 DVds thats with adding extra shelves?
Old 08-17-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

shelland, what do you do with the extra space as the depth of the billy is quite large compared to the width of the dvd. it doesn't bother you? you have any pictures
Old 08-17-06, 12:13 PM

thanks for link to that website. this looks ideal for what i've been looking for.
I hate having dust on my dvd cases. this would prevent it

Old 08-17-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Those are decent, but I don't want to have to drill into the walls. Search was my friend, I think I am gonna go with the IKEA Billys
I was just about to mention Ikea as I'm heading over there to pick up one of these. It actually is a DVD/CD holder, but I'm going to use it as a display case for small theater themed collectables. It takes a light and with the glass shelving think it will be perfect. All of my movie posters are black, so should look good on the same wall...

Old 08-17-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats the name of this shelf?
Old 08-17-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also you can check out the 1080 CD Oskar. It lists as holding 504 dvd's of course that varies depending on boxsets and SE. You can find a pic at DeepdiscountDVD, i've picked up 3 so far at their sales and am pretty happy with them. They retail at DDD for around $120 i think.
Old 08-17-06, 03:22 PM

How much do the Ikea Billy shelves sell for? I don't see them on their site.
Old 08-17-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whats the name of this shelf?
It is the Bertby runs $100 but the light is not included (even tho the Pic shows it with light).

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=00093136

I like it as ti hangs on the wall so will have more of a built in look. Used as a DVD holder I think it holds 290
Old 08-17-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The white are $49.99. They sell the double, which is just two together for 99.99.
Old 08-17-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The white are $49.99. They sell the double, which is just two together for 99.99.
Are you talking about the Bertbry? When I switch colors on the Ikea web site they don't change price? Or did you see this in the store? Tho it really doesn't matter that much, I really want the black....
Old 08-17-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh heh no, the Billy from Ikea
Old 08-17-06, 07:45 PM

I wish they offered the black Bertbry's online
Old 08-17-06, 08:09 PM

Awesome, yea it is no biggie. So the one unit, without adding extra shelves how many DVDs can it hold? I assume when you say it can hold 400 DVds thats with adding extra shelves?
Well, with the glass shelves, I can get about 400 - about 50 per shelf. I've always had the glass shelves, so can't say for sure, but I'm guessing with the wooden shelves that you might have to go with 2 fewer shelves. It would be rereal close if trying to fit the same number of wooden shelves. (see pic I'm posting next)
Old 08-17-06, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
shelland, what do you do with the extra space as the depth of the billy is quite large compared to the width of the dvd. it doesn't bother you? you have any pictures
I don't do anything to compensate for the depth. There is a fair amount of extra depth, but it really doesn't bother me. I hope these pics give a decent vantage. I had to take them at an angle because of how the room is arranged. Because of a treadmill and the corner or a couch, I couldn't take the pics straight on.

I just got the second unit a couple weeks ago to move our CDs from a smaller non-matching storage rack. I love my Billy's!

I'd actually like to put them in a corner at right angles to each other, but the layout of the room doesn't allow it.

Click on image for larger picture.

On the left side, there's one more glass shelf on both the top and bottom halves for CD storage.
Old 08-17-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's nice looking. so the glass shelfs are from IKEA as well? so you have the wooden center and then glass for all the rest? Also for this set up. can door (glass) be attached as well as that would look nice.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 08-17-06 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
that's nice looking. so the glass shelfs are from IKEA as well? so you have the wooden center and then glass for all the rest? Also for this set up. can door (glass) be attached as well as that would look nice.
Yes, the glass shelves are from Ikea as well - $8 each I believe. The unit comes with all wooden shelves, which I don't use. The center one is actually part of the "structure", so you wouldn't want to go without that one. The wooden shelves look fine, but I really think the entire unit looks less "bulky" and a little more "classy" with the thin glass shelves.

Yes, the Billy does have optional doors, which look really nice. I actually bought them with my first set of sheves. But, because the doors are attached via the peg holes, it severly changed the way the shelves could be laid out. If I remember right, it would have eliminated an entire shelf on both the upper and lower halves. I decided I needed the storage more than I needed the doors.
Old 08-17-06, 10:56 PM

I don't know how the build quality compares but I just got one of these (and plan to buy several more). I like it so far and it seems built well and was easy to asemble. It's $125. The big plus for me is that they hold 504 dvds, but are only 40" wide as opposed to the 57" in the OPs link. They are 6 feet tall, if that matters.
http://www.racksandstands.com/Atlant...-14AL0187.html
Old 08-18-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone know if IKEA still carries the metallic gray Billys? I have 5 of those in my room and want to add a 6th, but they don't have that color anymore. At least not through their website.
Old 08-18-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Anyone know if IKEA still carries the metallic gray Billys? I have 5 of those in my room and want to add a 6th, but they don't have that color anymore. At least not through their website.
I don't know about the Billys but I use the Benno in metallic, looks like they still have those.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10115*10170
Old 08-18-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by videobliss2
I don't know how the build quality compares but I just got one of these (and plan to buy several more). I like it so far and it seems built well and was easy to asemble. It's $125. The big plus for me is that they hold 504 dvds, but are only 40" wide as opposed to the 57" in the OPs link. They are 6 feet tall, if that matters.
http://www.racksandstands.com/Atlant...-14AL0187.html
I just picked up the smaller version of this at best buy for $72 last night as a quick remedy. Is a foot shorter and 3 inches smaller (wide) . I will eventually look at the billy as they look very nice with the pictures provided. The only thing stopping me now is that those extra 5 inches would take a lot of space in the hallway where I would put them in thus affecting everything else in that space as it is quite tight.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077624680370

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 08-18-06 at 02:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.