DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Syntax Olevia LT23HVX lcdtv - s-video?

Old 08-15-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Syntax Olevia LT23HVX lcdtv - s-video?

Hi,

There's currently a good deal on the Syntax Olevia LT23HVX lcd tv at Staples. But, it has only one component input and one s-video input. (Max tv display res is 480p.)

I want to hook up my HD cable box and a DVD player. I am thinking of hooking up the DVD player thru an s-video cable. But, will this give me a stretched letterboxed display on widescreen DVDs? I saw one piece onf info online saying that this tv stretches all 4:3 signals, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Does anyone have one of these tv's (or a similar one)? If so, any thoughts on the cable/DVD hookups? I'll be using it for a bedroom tv, so absolute top-quality video is not essential. Thx.
Old 08-15-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by drmoze
Hi,

There's currently a good deal on the Syntax Olevia LT23HVX lcd tv at Staples. But, it has only one component input and one s-video input. (Max tv display res is 480p.)

I want to hook up my HD cable box and a DVD player. I am thinking of hooking up the DVD player thru an s-video cable. But, will this give me a stretched letterboxed display on widescreen DVDs? I saw one piece onf info online saying that this tv stretches all 4:3 signals, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Does anyone have one of these tv's (or a similar one)? If so, any thoughts on the cable/DVD hookups? I'll be using it for a bedroom tv, so absolute top-quality video is not essential. Thx.
I've been looking at that set for my bar.

Do your have a surround receiver in your bedroom? Does it have component switching? That is what I did in my media room where my PJ only had one component input. I hooked by HD OTA STB and DVDp into my receiver via component. Then ran one set of cable to my PJ. Works well.

Tho something that small and for a bedroom, S-video for DVD might be fine. You would just have to try it I suppose.
Old 08-15-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YEah, I'm looking for something simple so I actually plan to use the tv speakers only (maybe hook up a small sub I have). It's just for late0-night tv watching. Not sure if WS/anamorphic DVDs will play OK thru the s-video connectiuon. Haven't been able to find any info on that, even in the manual I dl'd.
Old 08-15-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I got shop down again today on an OD price match to Staples. $350 is not a bad price, but I was hoping to get OD to match that and then add their $200 rebate on top of that (see obesewallet). However I have been shot down twice.

Buy.com had the 26" Niko that I believe is "true HD" (tho there is some discussion on if anything this small can be true HD) for about $455 shipped. I really didn't want to spend that kind of money, but a 26" TV would be sweet....
Old 08-15-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Syntax has a new 23" Olevia 323V for about $450, has 2 component inputs. Dunno if it does true HD (>480p). I'll check the Niko too. The Olevias have nice pq. Only the new 500 series (27" and bigger) come with an HD tuner (and a bigger price tag!).

Update: Checked out the Niko specs. Yuk. 450 cd/m2 brightness, 600:1 contrast, 16ms response time. The only positivd reviews I've seen are from people using it as a computer monitor and the xbox crowd.

Maybe they'll have close-outs on the bigger Olevias now that the new models are being introduced.

Last edited by drmoze; 08-15-06 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, it is a tough call. I only want one for the bar, but really want a flat panel. Heck even 480p or ED is fine. But I have limited space, the Niko is about as physically big as I can take for where I want to put it.

I can wait a bit and see what else comes up. For multiple inputs needed there was a thread where we discussed these. Or actually I think it was for a HDMI switcher, so there are options.