DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Insignia NS-B2111 speakers - $50 at Best Buy - these are great for the $$ (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/474393-insignia-ns-b2111-speakers-%2450-best-buy-these-great-%24%24.html)

C_Fletch 08-13-06 11:10 AM

Insignia NS-B2111 speakers - $50 at Best Buy - these are great for the $$

I was on another forum and ran across a large thread about these speakers. I could go on and on about what I found out about them but I'd suggest just buying a set yourself to demo them at home. Just go to Best Buy and search for Insignia. They may not be available as this deal has been around for months. In fact, at one point in time, you could get them for $35. They're worth the $50 if not $200 but I'll let you decide that.

These speakers are a little harsh out of the box but will smooth out after some hours of use. I'd say you should burn them in for about 12-16 hours at least. The bass smooths out and the treble and soundstage just open up. These are not your typical speakers and have a parabolic design. They are probably the nicest set of speakers I've seen. Very unique looking.

Any others with these have opinions?

grundle 09-23-06 02:34 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06266/724273-96.stm

Sound advice: One speaker above crowd in sound, price

Saturday, September 23, 2006

By Don Lindich

Q. I know very little about sound systems and would like to get the most for my money. My brother-in-law said you recently wrote a column about stereo speakers that are a very good value. I'd like to know about them. I'd also like to know of a quality surround-sound receiver that fits the same description (biggest bang for the buck) and where to shop.

We haven't set a budget, mainly because we don't know what to expect. We want to stay under $400 for the speakers and likewise for the receiver. I am wondering if there are any "best kept secrets" out there when it comes to quality for the price.

-- Tim Heymans

A. There are lots of good speakers out there, but when it comes to bang for the buck, one speaker is clearly the king ... make that the emperor!

You asked about a "best kept secret." The best kept secret in speakers is not much of a secret any more, at least if you frequent audio enthusiast circles. The Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelf speakers sound absolutely amazing, for under $50 per pair! I bought a pair myself just to see what the buzz is all about and they sound better than some $500 speakers I have heard. They sound great at any price, and when you are told they are under $50, you pinch yourself. Insignia is the Best Buy house brand, so the only place you can buy them is at a Best Buy store.

The NS-B2111 features a 6.5 inch woofer, so bass is nice and deep, and the fit and finish is exemplary. They really distort the price/performance equation and make building a genuinely excellent system a lot easier for people on a budget.

For example, you can get two pair of NS-B2111s for $100. That would make one front pair and one surround pair. Use phantom mode on the receiver and you will not need a center channel. Of course, you could add another pair for $50 and have a back speaker and a center channel, but you will have to watch placement of a center with a CRT TV because the speakers do not have magnetic shielding. The NS-B2111s go low enough in the bass that a subwoofer isn't absolutely necessary.

At www.shoponkyo.com, you can get a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR303 receiver for only $109. It will mate well with the Insignias. This gives you a surround-sound system that will sound amazing with movies and music for only $209! Just add your DVD player and TV and you are all set.

Ideally the front speakers should be put on stands. Given we are $591 under your $800 budget at the moment, get some nice speaker stands for your front speakers. You can place the surround speakers on the floor next to the back wall, pointing upward to create a wall of sound.

The Insignias do not make other speakers obsolete, and if you spend more you will likely get better sound if you choose well. For example, the Axiom Audio M2i is clearly better, having a fuller, more refined sound, but at more than five times the price. You asked about bang for the buck and the NS-B2111 definitely is the standout in that category.

Don Lindich is a national columnist and creator of the "Digital Made Easy" book series. Submit your audio, video and digital photography questions to [email protected].

~M~ 10-08-06 11:57 PM

Wow, this sounds like what I need. I really don't have the room to hide a sub and I can't leave a sub exposed. I have two kids.

DVD Josh 10-09-06 09:27 AM

Amazing really. Put these with the $120 Dayton from parts express and you'll have a serious budget theatre.

Spiky 10-09-06 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ~M~
Wow, this sounds like what I need. I really don't have the room to hide a sub and I can't leave a sub exposed. I have two kids.

Kids can be taught.

~M~ 10-09-06 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Kids can be taught.

After the 4th or 5th sub ;)

I already have the tube from my TV scratched and I have no idea how that happened.