DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   120 db (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/474358-120-db.html)

Spiky 08-12-06 11:27 PM

120 db

Finally put my new drivers in today, and checked them out with Return of the King. That is, my new SVS Plus drivers for my SVS PB2+ sub which have been sitting waiting for me for a week. They upgraded their drivers again, because some knickknacks in the world just haven't been broken, yet. So, I put them in, calibrated again, had to turn the sub down quite a bit with the new drivers, then watched a 4 hour bass ride.

First time I've gotten my SPL meter to tell me there were 120db peaks, and this is using normal calibrated volume settings, didn't crank it up or anything. Ouch! I found later that I vibrated some things off shelves upstairs at the far end of the house. Luckily nothing broke, or I'd be in deep trouble. I'd never done that before, either. Mr. Jackson made that ring of power something else for bass.

These subs are just ridiculous. I can't believe some people have 2 of them. Or that SVS's Ultras are louder. I'd recommend the upgrade to anyone with an older SVS Plus sub. Anybody want to buy a kick-ass subwoofer driver?

BobDole42 08-12-06 11:33 PM

Nice!!! I love my setup, but I am currently unable to achieve the level of bass I want due to living in an apartment. I bet it sounds great, Spiky. Congrats!

Mordred 08-12-06 11:43 PM

Man, pretty darn impressive. Probably a little too loud for my tastes though. Plus I like the things on my wall to stay there :)

Sdallnct 08-13-06 04:45 PM

Impressive. I have read a lot about the SVS subs and what I find amazing is that I have yet to read anything bad or anyone that didn't like them. And for a speaker (well sort of) that is just amazing to me.

I'd love to upgrade my sub. Right now using the "matching" Celestion sub. It is not a bad little sub. And I picked it up for a $100 when BB cleared out Celestion, so I can't complain about the price.

Nope, can't do it...to many other things to upgrade 1st....

DVD Josh 08-13-06 06:03 PM

Spike, that is the reason that I enjoy my JBL. I just don't want all that bass :)

BobDole42 08-13-06 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Spike, that is the reason that I enjoy my JBL. I just don't want all that bass :)

Wimp! :)

DVD Josh 08-13-06 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Wimp! :)

Probably :D. I really like the JBL though. Lots of clean pump and very controllable in a smaller environment.

Spiky 08-13-06 08:35 PM

The nice thing about having power is ultimate control. It's not recommended, but SVS can also be turned down. :) Actually, one of my favorite things about this much low frequency power is the ability to still feel something at low volumes. When my wife is asleep right above my basement HT, I can still get a feel of the bass without bothering her. I've seen comments from other apartment dwellers that they get more bass without disturbing neighbors, too. This is a trait of highly accurate subs with good power, not simply an SVS thing.