DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Can't get subwoofer to work (am rusty in this) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/474066-cant-get-subwoofer-work-am-rusty.html)

Feneant 08-09-06 06:59 PM

Can't get subwoofer to work (am rusty in this)

It's been years since my HT has been working correctly due to space constraints but as I moved I figured I would get it right. I have no problem with most items, but I can't get the subwoofer to work properly.

Would someone be able to tell me in which hole I plug it on the receiver and on the subwoofer? Sub is a Paradigm Paradigm PW-2500 and the receiver is a Denon 3200 AVR . I unfortunately don't have the manual for either, but this place has a rather small image of the back of the receiver and the subwoofer description is on the Paradigm link.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...onavr3200.html
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...s/PW_Specs.htm

The most life I got out of the sub is it hums loudly constantly which doesn't sound right.

Sorry for the lack of details, I am extremely out of touch when it comes to this these days.

Thank you to those who read the thread, I don't expect much answers due to my vagueness, I've no camera handy to take pictures of the back of each item.

BobDole42 08-09-06 08:22 PM

The pic of the Denon is too small to make out any detail, so I'm guessing a bit here, but this should work: on the back on the Denon, there will be an RCA output (a single plug) that says "Sub out," "Sub," "LFE," or something like that. It might be part of a 5.1 analog output grouping of connections. Connect that output the the sub's input. The PW-2500 has a line-level sub input (same RCA type connection as on the receiver). hope this helps.

Feneant 08-10-06 06:10 AM

I think on the receiver I know where it is (It's plugged where you said actually, the 5.1 output)- there are 2 sub options so thats easy to guess. On the sub itself there is a high level and a low level input where both have a red and black cable option but I only have 1 cable for the sub.

I will have to look further tonight, it hasn't been used in a long time, might be it's damaged although I hope not since that particular model has not been produced in years.

Thanks for the answer

John Sinnott 08-10-06 07:05 AM

I think the high level is an output, though I could be wrong. I'd plug it into the low level input.

Spiky 08-10-06 09:51 AM

And if it has 2 low-level RCA inputs on the sub, just use either one.

The humming suggests that it is not hooked up properly, so getting it hooked up might fix it. But it can also mean that it is not grounded with the rest of the system. Try to plug everything into the same outlet.

uteotw 10-17-06 12:43 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I'm hoping someone smart will pick up on this one and help me out.

I recently upgraded my sub to this JBL Sub12, which I had read and heard a lot of good things about. I got rid of a smaller 150-watt Yamaha I was never really happy with. The thing is, I was expecting a lot more than what I'm hearing.

I have it run through my receiver with an RCA sub cable with the Y-splitter into the sub. I have speakers set to small on my receiver and the sub turned "on" there. I have the crossover set to 200 on the receiver and turned it all the way up on the sub, since I thought that didn't matter so much since it was the receiver doing the crossover.

I have some switch on the back set to 0 instead of 180, but frankly I don't even know what this is for. I even upped the sub db on the receiver to 5. The sub is located in the front by the receiver and other speakers, and moving it's not a very good option.

I can get some decent sounding bass, and it's very crisp and "clean" sounding (not the distorted thumping I had before), but I have to turn the volume up about three-quarters of the way to get the sound I was hoping for. Is this normal? What am I missing here?

I would really appreciate any ideas at all on how I can increase the bass I think I should be hearing from my new sub. THANKS--

Brian Shannon 10-17-06 12:59 PM

I have some switch on the back set to 0 instead of 180, but frankly I don't even know what this is for. I even upped the sub db on the receiver to 5. The sub is located in the front by the receiver and other speakers, and moving it's not a very good option.
This is a phase switch and is used depending on the orientation of the sub to the speakers. You don't say where the sub is located, facing the speakers or away from the speakers.

I can get some decent sounding bass, and it's very crisp and "clean" sounding (not the distorted thumping I had before), but I have to turn the volume up about three-quarters of the way to get the sound I was hoping for. Is this normal? What am I missing here?
First, what is your source material? Are you talking about music or movies as both are very different from a subs point of view. For movies, did you calibrate with a setup disc for the proper LFE setting? To answer your question yes, it may be normal, the position of a volume control know is meaningless.

I would really appreciate any ideas at all on how I can increase the bass I think I should be hearing from my new sub. THANKS--
Well first off subs do best in corners and not on heavy carpet. Next, you need to calibrate first and evaluate later. Third, and please do not take this the wrong way but unless you got a screaming deal on that sub, it is not a very good product for the retail price. The stated specs are average and for the money you could have gotten an SVS or an HSU that would give you what it sounds like you are looking for.

Try reading this link

http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm

And I will end with a gratutious plug for SVS as I have a 20-39 pci cylinder that will actually shake all three levels of my home. In my theater this sub rests on a specially designed platform filled with 150 lbs of sand that has been dynamatted and sits on top of a concrete slab that is carpeted.

http://www.svsound.com/animation.cfm

uteotw 10-17-06 01:20 PM

The sub is front firing & faces the same way as the front & center speakers (so leave it at 0 instead of 180?). I did calibrate using the Sound & Vision disc and the sub is phased in fairly well. It's on a tile floor but not in the corner. Also I did not pay that price for the sub; bought it for $279 from onlinecarstereo.com (free shipping, no tax) so it seemed like an OK deal. Aside from returning it and buying something else, which I don't plan to do, I will try move it and not be concerned with cranking up the knob. I do think I kept it a bit low during the calibration because I thought it couldn't really need to be upped that much.
Thanks for the suggestions & I'd appreciate any others.

Brian Shannon 10-17-06 01:41 PM

I will try move it and not be concerned with cranking up the knob. I do think I kept it a bit low during the calibration because I thought it couldn't really need to be upped that much.
Ok, well the only other suggestion I have is that if you have properly calibrated for movies you could also try to up the lfe setting +1db at a time. Try some discs with heavy bass that you are familiar with.

Good luck!

SoSpacey 10-17-06 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by uteotw

I have some switch on the back set to 0 instead of 180, but frankly I don't even know what this is for. I even upped the sub db on the receiver to 5.

the switch on the back may be the subs crossover too. i dont have that dub nor do i know anything about it so i am probably wrong but try it around 80.

Spiky 10-17-06 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by uteotw

Frankly, it sounds like you've had a major upgrade, according to this paragraph. Do you have an SPL meter? It would be interesting to know what levels you are getting and what you want. I wouldn't say that three-quarters is too high. As Brian mentioned, the volume control is really relative to many things. On a halfway decent amp, that should be ok. (I'm assuming you mean the sub's volume, not the receiver's main volume)

uteotw 10-17-06 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Frankly, it sounds like you've had a major upgrade, according to this paragraph. Do you have an SPL meter? It would be interesting to know what levels you are getting and what you want. I wouldn't say that three-quarters is too high. As Brian mentioned, the volume control is really relative to many things. On a halfway decent amp, that should be ok. (I'm assuming you mean the sub's volume, not the receiver's main volume)

Spiky, from my hometown, helps again. Thanks. (Yes, the sub's volume.) I don't have an SPL meter but may pick one up. I feel better about the volume control after you/Brian and plan to play w/it some more tonight, maybe with The Matrix or Return of the King...

Edit: I inched the sub channel on the receiver and the sub's volume as well, and now it sounds fantastic. Couldn't be more pleased. Thanks--