DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Small bookshelf speakers?

Old 08-09-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Small bookshelf speakers?

Helping a friend find some small bookshelf speakers. I use rbh and love them but time prevents that route so the merchant choices are CC and Best Buy. They were considering Bose but (being anti-Bose myself) I would like to steer them into something else.

The key is small, no subwoofer will be used and they mostly use them for classical music. (not a home theater situation) Any recomendations?
Old 08-09-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

I have some small bookshelf Boston Accoustics, and I am constantly amazed at the sound quality.
Old 08-09-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's their budget? I highly recommend Tyler Acoustics. It's an internet company that sells directly to the customer. Ty Lashbrook offers a 20 day in home audition. Their monitor speakers range in price from $650 to $3200. I personally have the Taylo Reference Monitors and they are awesome[I've compared them to Revel, Triangle, Totem, Aerial, B&W and others and they are still my reference speakers]. For less money, I would recommend Ascend Acoustics 170's. They are also sold factory direct and they go for around $330. They are excellent with classical music. I would steer clear of CC and BB. If you're willing to take a chance and buy them unheard, you can get a lot more for your money.
Old 08-09-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No suggestions at those stores sorry. If they want classical they need quality and Sweet Baby James has some good suggestions depending on the budget.

I recommend they find a real audio store in their area and try to listen to B&W, Canton, NHT, Totem, Linn etc.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The speakers will have to be bought in the next couple of days and an internet purcahse won't work for them. There really aren't many great audio shops nearby so their location of purchase is limited to what is. They will not be wanting to spend big bucks either. I'd estmate at best about $300 for both would fit their budget.

I have also heard Boston Acoustics have a good sound.

BB carries Athena (I have one of their subs that I like), Klipsch & JBL. Opinions on those??
Old 08-10-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If one of those sells BA, that is probably the best sound you will get from either store. CC sells Polk, they are good speakers. Listening is the best way to decide on speakers. Stay away from the brands that usually sell receivers, DVD players. They don't even design their own speakers usually. Pioneer, Sony, etc.
Old 08-10-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kayak99
The speakers will have to be bought in the next couple of days and an internet purcahse won't work for them. I'd estmate at best about $300 for both would fit their budget.
If they could somehow wait about a week, I highly recommend the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE speakers for $348. They are absolute giant killers, putting to shame some highly regarded speakers that cost three to four times more. Here's a link for more info-

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html
Old 08-12-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

KEF and Celestion are two of my favorites.

I also like Boston
Old 08-15-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need closure. What speakers did they end up getting?