Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker suggestions

I am looking for two front tower speakers for my home theater. I just picked up a Infinity PS-12 sub, which I LOVE. Now it is time to replace my kenwood fronts, I would like to get some floor standing tower speakers that have powered amps. I have been looking at Definitive Technologies SuperTowers but I dunno if I want to spend $800 a speaker. Any recommendations for amped tower speakers?
Old 08-08-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
I am looking for two front tower speakers for my home theater. I just picked up a Infinity PS-12 sub, which I LOVE. Now it is time to replace my kenwood fronts, I would like to get some floor standing tower speakers that have powered amps. I have been looking at Definitive Technologies SuperTowers but I dunno if I want to spend $800 a speaker. Any recommendations for amped tower speakers?
The Definitive speaker is a good speaker line.

Why do you need powered speakers with built in amps? Have you listened to these speakers? What other speakers have you listened to? How big a room, what receiver do you have and what are you using for a center channel?
Old 08-08-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Def Tech's are nice. I agree with Brian that you might not need the powered towers if you are happy with your sub. What is your overall budget for the speakers? If you replace the L/R speakers, you should replace the center (and the rears too if possible) as well.
Old 08-08-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well its gonna be a slow rebuild, so I am going to slowly gather the parts and go from there. I bought the sub first because mine was lacking. The room is decently big, maybe 20 by 30 feet. I have not looked at many other speakers yet. Maybe my first buy should be a new receiver, I am using an older kenwood that is a 5.1 100 watt/ch. It definitely needs to be replaced. I have been looking into a Denon receivers but might opt for something comparable that is a bit cheaper, but I definitely want to pack a punch.

I know this post is all over the place, so how about some suggestions for a receiver first? All in all I am willing to spend maybe $2000 or so for a new reciever, L/R speaker and a new center.
Old 08-08-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Pick your speakers first then decide how to power them! Please

Your budget does not leave much room for three speakers and a receiver to fill that room. You need to take some cd's and dvd's and go to some stores near you and listen to some speakers. Boston Acoustics, Polk and Infinity come to mind as a starting point. Let us know!