DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Circuit City to offer DVD "ripping" service for $10

Old 08-04-06, 11:59 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Circuit City to offer DVD "ripping" service for $10

wow. Circuit City is apparently offering to rip your dvds to a digital file for your ipod, PSP, etc. for $10 a disc. This is a clear violation of the DMCA. There is no wiggle-room here - the statute is clear and courts that interpret it have been applying it as written (any attempt to break the encryption of a copyrighted work, even if done for a lawful purpose (e.g. fair use) is a violation of the Act). wow.

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...ner-192049.php
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 12:45 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
I'm betting that's from one store with a dumbass manager, rather than a corporate policy. Anyone seen it at their local CC?
Numanoid is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 12:53 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm betting that's from one store with a dumbass manager, rather than a corporate policy. Anyone seen it at their local CC?
You're probably right. I would definitely like to know if someone has seen it.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 01:14 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,831
Yet another reason to stay away.
Spiky is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 02:27 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,324
I was at a CC last Sunday, and didn't see that advertised or offered anywhere.
renaldow is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 02:38 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 8,786
What about those places where you send in the cd and they rip them to mp3 for you? [since it's sooooooo difficult to rip an audio cd]. I believe CC is entwined with one of those companies too. Is that legal?
tonyc3742 is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 02:56 PM
  #7  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Originally Posted by dtcarson
What about those places where you send in the cd and they rip them to mp3 for you? [since it's sooooooo difficult to rip an audio cd]. I believe CC is entwined with one of those companies too. Is that legal?
That should be, as long as the CD being ripped doesn't have copy protection.

The laws deal with breaking the encryption rather than with copying the content specifically (assuming you own the DVD/CD in question). If it's not encrypted, you can rip it, make copies of it, etc. as long as you still own the original.
Josh H is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 03:00 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That should be, as long as the CD being ripped doesn't have copy protection.

The laws deal with breaking the encryption rather than with copying the content specifically (assuming you own the DVD/CD in question). If it's not encrypted, you can rip it, make copies of it, etc. as long as you still own the original.
Agreed. The problem with CC's service is that all commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS and there is no way to rip them legally. I suppose that they could be capturing the analog video and audio and encoding that into a mpeg, but that would result in a lower quality image and take forever. My guess is that they are just breaking the copy protection.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 08-04-06, 09:43 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,794
Originally Posted by BobDole42
wow. Circuit City is apparently offering to rip your dvds to a digital file for your ipod, PSP, etc. for $10 a disc. This is a clear violation of the DMCA. There is no wiggle-room here - the statute is clear and courts that interpret it have been applying it as written (any attempt to break the encryption of a copyrighted work, even if done for a lawful purpose (e.g. fair use) is a violation of the Act). wow.

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...ner-192049.php
Bob, are you sure that CC hasn't negotiated the right to break the encryption?
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 08-05-06, 12:18 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Bob, are you sure that CC hasn't negotiated the right to break the encryption?
I would be shocked if this were the case. The DVDCCA has been unwilling to allow any sort of copying for years. It makes no sense for CC to have brokered some sort of deal. If that were true, it would be front page news on every legal and tech page on the net.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 08-05-06, 12:19 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Update: it looks like the sign is some employee's joke or a hoax. CC denies offering this service in any of its stores:

http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/001053.html
BobDole42 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.