DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help on what type of HDTV set to get.

Old 08-03-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need help on what type of HDTV set to get.

So I'm getting ready to make the jump to an HDTV. I'm not really sure exactly sure what kind would be the best for me. So I'm asking for some suggestions. My price range is $1500 - $2000.

I'll be using the TV a lot for video games, and using digital cable for television broadcasts.

I don't want a TV (or monitor) that can suffer from burn in easy. So that rules out plasma and projection TVs. I have some DVD's where the OAR is 4x3, and I would prefer not to stretch the picture.

I'll be living in my apartment for at least a year, and then I might move to a different location. So I want something that can be moved. I understand that non-LCD TVs are extremely heavy. Then again I guess I could take a chance with movers.

Based on all of that I'm thinking LCD but not sold 100%. I do have some concerns LCD's, mainly ghosting and dead pixels.

How do non-HD channels look using digital cable?

The DVD player I'll be using will be an older Panasonic player from late 1999 (I'm planning on upgrading, but I'm going to get the TV first) and an Xbox (soon to be a Wii and sometime hopefully soon a Xbox 360).

Any suggestions you could give?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-06, 12:55 PM

DLP is the way to go if you're worried about burn in.
Old 08-03-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

woot.com use to have a 61" slim line rear projector for around that on occasion. I think worrying about burn in isn't something worth worrying over, personally. I use my lcd front projector for that, and I have no worries. I also wouldn't worry about a plasma. Read up on the Myths of plasmas, and you will see that people that have tried to get burn in (for tests) too 72 hours with a stable image, and then after 24 hours of regular use, it was fine again.
Old 08-03-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

plasmas don't really do burn in any more. most of the av community thinks it's more of a myth. I have a 50" plasma (panasonic th-50phd8uk) and it's the best picture I've ever seen. I couldn't be happier. No break in period or whatever to worry about with a plasma. People do it as a precaution, but burn in doesn't really happen any more. From all my research, plasma gives the best results.
Old 08-03-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went with LCD because I didn't want the power consumption (and associated heat) that come with plasmas. No dead pixels on mine, image is so-so on SDTV, great on HD. The black level (or lack thereof) is really the only drawback I notice, watching in a really dark room makes it look bad. I have a 37" now, which I'm taking back to costco on monday for a 42" lcd.
Old 08-03-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the suggestions.

After looking around the internet today, and calling some places, it is looking like DLP is the way to go, and on my budget. I may get a wall mount TV down the road when I get a house.

It seems now that the only draw back for DLP, is the rainbow effect and lag for video games. I haven't seen a DLP in action (I'll be looking in store before I buy), but how bad is the rainbow effect. Also I heard using a game mode feature will take care of lag.
Old 08-03-06, 06:50 PM

I got a 27" lcd hdtv for way less then your budget and my xbox 360 plays phenominal on it. Also Digital cable looks great if you get an hdtv box. I got an hdtv dvr box and its great. Im sure your looking for bigger then 27" though.
Old 08-03-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cerial442
Thanks for the suggestions.

After looking around the internet today, and calling some places, it is looking like DLP is the way to go, and on my budget. I may get a wall mount TV down the road when I get a house.

It seems now that the only draw back for DLP, is the rainbow effect and lag for video games. I haven't seen a DLP in action (I'll be looking in store before I buy), but how bad is the rainbow effect. Also I heard using a game mode feature will take care of lag.
It really depends on the individual. Lots of people notice it on the infocus X1, but I never did. If I shook my head violently from side to side I could catch a glimpse of it, but otherwise, never saw it.

The faster the color wheel, the less rainbow effect. The speed of the infocus X1 is 2x I believe.
Old 08-03-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does the X1 handle video games?

Does anyone recommend the Sony Bravia LCD? Based on some of the reviews I've seen online it looks like it has a better color and less ghosting than other LCD monitors.

It is definatly LCD or DLP for me right now. I'm going to go to the stores and check them out though.

I'm going to use TimeWarner digital cable (that is the only one in my area) then after the package trial ends I might switch over to Dish.
Old 08-03-06, 10:23 PM

im using time warner digital and its great. I highly recomend it. So many channels to choose from and many great ones in HD.
Old 08-03-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LordofWar
im using time warner digital and its great. I highly recomend it. So many channels to choose from and many great ones in HD.
Awesome.

How is the roadrunner service?

The only downside for me (and it's not Time Warners fault) is the only local HD channels will be ABC and CBS. So I get Lost in HD but no 24 (yet).
Old 08-15-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would seriously consider the Panasonic HD (and ED) tv's. The 42" should be right in your budget, and their EDTV does a wonderful job with HD signals, even better with DVDs. (True HD monitors have to upconvert DVD resolution.) These are one of the best buys in mid-size tvs with excellent pq these days.

Definitely look before you buy, and checkout bot plasmas and DLPs. To be honest, I have yet to see a DLP that I like. I've looked at at least a couple of dozen in the local CC/BB/PC-Richards/etc. stores. I doubt they were *all* set up poorly! ANd in side-by-side comparisons, DLPs looked worse to me than plasma, lcd, and crt-rp.
Old 08-15-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the new model of the Samsung 46" DLP, the HL-S. Amazing TV so far, picture is awesome, the black reproduction is amazing. I got it for about $1500.
Old 08-21-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After going to the store and looking at the TV's, I wasn't too crazy about the DLP sets. After looking around I bought a Sony 32' Bravia LCD. I'm happy with it.

Now if Avia will hurry and get here.....
Old 08-21-06, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by cerial442
Awesome.

How is the roadrunner service?

The only downside for me (and it's not Time Warners fault) is the only local HD channels will be ABC and CBS. So I get Lost in HD but no 24 (yet).
Roadrunner is the best internet service I ever had. Very speedy. Will never change internet services.