DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about center speakers?

Old 07-23-06, 08:47 PM
Cool New Member

Question about center speakers?

I do not know much about surround sounds or what not but, I have a question, I have a Sony Dream Theatre it is a good surround sound had it about a year and a half but I want to get a new center speaker, because lately it seems the speaker is not loud and I have checked the wires, connections, but my question is, if I buy a center speaker, will I have to buy a receiver or can I just hook up a speaker to the dvd player, also what kind of wires do you use to hoop up speakers like that? thanks
Old 07-26-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the only problem is loudness, you can probably adjust the level of the center channel speaker to compensate. check under the system's setup menu and set the center +3 db or so to start with. You can play around with it until you get it to your liking.
Old 07-28-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most home theater afficionados will also tell you to stay with a Sony center channel in order to timbre match the fronts for a less unnatural sound. (Mind you, *I* don't adhere to that rule but lots of 'em are adamant about it ). I'm in agreement with Bob- if its a loudness issue I'd crank up your db level on the center channel before spending any money. There is a slight chance it could be a receiver problem too, if its something that wasn't a problem in the past....

Last edited by nightmaster; 07-28-06 at 09:21 AM.