DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I need help with my girlfriend's dvd player.

Old 07-22-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I need help with my girlfriend's dvd player.

We were watching the first clerks movie yesterday afternoon, and about 20 minutes into the movie, the player froze and went to a black screen (as would happen if you turn the player off), but the dvd player wasn't turned off and also wouldn't eject the disc. we finally got it out, but we had to move the tv out of the cabinent, unplug and replug everything back in. the dvd player is made by Poloroid (probably from walmart) So, is there anyway to fix this, or should i just tell her to get another player (it happened once before during the last movie she watched).
Old 07-22-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What model is it? Polaroid players are cheap, and notoriously unreliable. Most break without any warning, and their price makes them not worth repairing. Even though it's got the Polaroid name on it, Polaroid doesn't make them. A Chinese company licenses the name from them, and from everything I've read, they are the worst of the cheap Chinese players, which is saying quite a bit. Like, they make CyberHome look like Denon.
Old 07-22-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
What model is it? Polaroid players are cheap, and notoriously unreliable. Most break without any warning, and their price makes them not worth repairing. Even though it's got the Polaroid name on it, Polaroid doesn't make them. A Chinese company licenses the name from them, and from everything I've read, they are the worst of the cheap Chinese players, which is saying quite a bit. Like, they make CyberHome look like Denon.

BURN!!!

renaldow is probably right. Was the disc really scratched? The player might simply have a tough time with scratched discs. If your GF has the cash, she should pick up a new player. There are decent offerings from much better brands for under $100. Better yet, you should buy one for her.
Old 07-23-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

nah, the disc was fine. Don't know the model number though (is it ironic or strange that the disc froze up right at after the whole "37 dick sucking" argument)
Old 07-23-06, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by BobDole42
There are decent offerings from much better brands for under $100.
My sister picked up a cheapo at Sam's Club for around $30. I believe it was Hitachi.

Not sure if they still have a model quite that cheap though...