DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Joytech control center 240 any good for HD???

Old 07-19-06, 11:11 AM

Joytech control center 240 any good for HD???

I have one free component input on my Pioneer Elite 53" RPTV and three HD sources ( HD-DVD, HD cable, Xbox 360) to connect. Up to this point I have been using a Radio Shack manual push button unit to switch between sources. I saw the Joytech unit at BB for $85.00. It can accomidate 7 component inputs and claims it is HD compatable. Anyone have any experience with this unit? I just added HD-DVD to my setup and do not want to loose any signal quality. Should I just stick with the manual unit?
Old 07-19-06, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pork-chop123
I have one free component input on my Pioneer Elite 53" RPTV and three HD sources ( HD-DVD, HD cable, Xbox 360) to connect. Up to this point I have been using a Radio Shack manual push button unit to switch between sources. I saw the Joytech unit at BB for $85.00. It can accomidate 7 component inputs and claims it is HD compatable. Anyone have any experience with this unit? I just added HD-DVD to my setup and do not want to loose any signal quality. Should I just stick with the manual unit?
Im picking up one today and will be doing testing all night (checking each and every port one by one). Ill let you know the results.
Old 07-20-06, 06:25 AM
Banned

K, been playing with the joytech for hours. Used a 360 with the factory component cables and the gamecube with monster s-video cable. I tried all 7 ports for the s-video, 100% perfect. Not a single problem. I then tried the component on the first 4 ports (no clue what the heck else ill be using so many components for), and everything was perfect. After trying out everything, i finally found a problem. 480p using component gives some static. When i go with 720p or 1080i, its perfect. I tried it on multiple ports, and it was the same thing. So if you have anything that will be component and output 480p, you might have issues. But for what im using it for, couldnt be happier. Mario Tennis looks fantastic on the projector too, i must say. 90 bux but worth it.
Old 07-25-06, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problems with 480p on the Joytech 240c here, but I did have some problems with my projector losing sync with a bright white 1080i signal from my Zenith DVD player when I tested HD out.

Then again the X1 has had issues with out of sync before with DVD players (firmware update solved it before). So I can't entirely blame it on the Joytech. But bypassing the Joytech = no problems.

So it's doing SOMETHING to the signal. Make sure to test out a scene with some explosions or something.

I run the DVD player straight into my receiver and then to the PJ though. All the game systems run into the Joytech and to the other component-in switch. So I avoided the problem.

www..com has a pretty detailed review of the unit...

EDIT: ok, dangit, for some reason apparently my favorite little gaming site is banned here. L C V G . com

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-25-06 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This seems to match other reviews of Joytech products I've read. One person finds it works perfectly for A, but not for B. Meanwhile the next guy says it works for B, but not A.
Old 07-26-06, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably just inconsistent build quality. The Pelican System Selector Pros seem subject to the same sort of inconsistent complaints. I think the only way to avoid it is to spend $200-$500+ on one of the quality HT component video switchers.
Old 07-26-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. The Audio Authority is still under $200, although it is back up close to $200. At one point it was down to $130, but I think they realized people still use component since HDMI is a mess, and raised the price back up.
Old 08-01-06, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
No problems with 480p on the Joytech 240c here, but I did have some problems with my projector losing sync with a bright white 1080i signal from my Zenith DVD player when I tested HD out.

Then again the X1 has had issues with out of sync before with DVD players (firmware update solved it before). So I can't entirely blame it on the Joytech. But bypassing the Joytech = no problems.

So it's doing SOMETHING to the signal. Make sure to test out a scene with some explosions or something.
I've noticed something strange on my Sony Cineza Projector.
The signal will brighten and then reduce in brightness for no reason whatsoever...?

This unit is definately doing something to the signal. It does say on the box that the unit will compensate for weak signals. This means it could misinterpret a weak signal and adjust it when really I just want that signal to be left alone.

The increase in brightness issue is not apparant on my 80cm CRT with Component (SD Only).
I'm going to test it out tonight on my Acer 1080p LCD display.

The picture itself (comparing a Still shot) looks pretty good on the projector. I would almost go as far as saying it looks as good as being plugged in directly BUT

that all changed for me when games\scenes in moivies started showing clear signs of brightness adjustment...?

I truly beleive this is a very good unit for it's price and that it will be perfect for some people but I also beleive there are compatibility issues here

Bright white scenes are common problems for projectors getting signals from switch boxes. I have noticed the same problem but it is no where near as bad as some of the other boxes I've tested in the past.

Is it perfect? Nope.
Is it reasonable? Yep.
Will I keep it? Not sure. I will try better cables but I definately will not put up with the brightness issue on my PJ.
Old 08-02-06, 06:21 PM

Got a chance to do some more testing last night.

The brightness issue I was having is just a coincidence. My Proj is on the brink and starting to play up.

Now that I have isolated the cause of this problem I must say this switch box is an absolute bargain.

Do not change inputs while the unit is on. Why? It causes intereference and problems on other inputs. This threw me off for a little while until I discovered switching the unit off and on restored everything back to normal.

The only problem with this unit is 1080i. Scrolling lines of interference are visible but only on some colours, mostly greys.....?