DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

One more speaker wire question.

Old 07-15-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more speaker wire question.

This may seem like a dumb question but I want ot be 100% sure. The speaker wires on my surround system are grey in color with a black line on one of the wires. This lets me know which one is the positive and which is the negative. However, I bought some Phillips speaker wire and it is int he clear insulation. On one of the wires is a white line and there is nothing on the other. Which of these is the positive and which is the negative? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long are you are consistent, it doesn't matter which you use as positive and negative. I usually use the marked side (in this case, the wire with the white line) as negative. Just make sure that the wire that is connected to the negative end of the speaker is connected to the negative end of the amp.

Or, you could do what I do and use $400 Audioquest speaker cable that is clearly marked. On course, Spiky and other will make fun of you
Old 07-15-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It makes no difference, as long as you attach the one with the line to the same color jack at both ends. I usually attach the one without a marking to the red jack, and the one with a marking to the black jack, but the reverse is just as good. AFAIK, there is no such thing as a positive and negative wire.
Old 07-15-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, or what he said.
Old 07-16-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny, I'm backwards of you guys. When using wire like this, I always use the marked wire for positive.
Old 07-16-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I just wanted to be 100% sure before I hooked it all up and had a total meltdown.
Old 07-16-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Thanks. I just wanted to be 100% sure before I hooked it all up and had a total meltdown.
Some speakers and many a receiver have protection for screw ups. But you are wise to just get is right the first time.
Old 07-16-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BobDole42
As long are you are consistent, it doesn't matter which you use as positive and negative. I usually use the marked side (in this case, the wire with the white line) as negative. Just make sure that the wire that is connected to the negative end of the speaker is connected to the negative end of the amp.

Or, you could do what I do and use $400 Audioquest speaker cable that is clearly marked. On course, Spiky and other will make fun of you
I wouldn't make fun of you...I use some Kimber Kable in my living room system. The one I use has one that is almost fluorescent blue and the other black so it is also easy to tell, here it is...

Old 07-16-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all of the replies. I used the white striped wire for my black and the non colored wire for my red. I just stayed consistent with all of them. Now I have my speaker wires in my walls, as well as my CAT5, and not running across the floor. Things look so much better now with no CAT5 or speaker wires to be seen. Thanks Again!!!!