Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Player that I can program to play trailers and then movies?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-15-06, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Forgive me if this is a silly queston, but:

Is there some sort of home theater equipment (maybe a multiple DVD changer?) where I can duplicate the movie experience at home by:

1) first playing some trailers from DVD's
2) then my "feature presentation" movie from another DVD?

In other words, are there programmable DVD players that play certain chapters, like trailers, of a DVD, then can switch discs and play an entire movie from another?

or is there a computer device that you can program that can do something like this?
Old 07-15-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new release of TheaterTek (2.4) has a function to do this. I hope it's okay to link to another forum: http://www.theatertek.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9212 In this case, the trailers would have to be on your hard drive.

I don't think this functionality is available in DVD changers. Even if it was, it would be quite slow. Think about the time it would take to go to a disc and load it, play the trailer, go to another disc, etc. Can changers go to a specific place on a disc without going through the copyright screens or whatever else is programmed to play automatically when the disc starts?
Old 07-15-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.kaleidescape.com/

a *bit* pricey though
Old 07-15-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sony disc changers do this. I have a 5 disc changer and do it all the time with trailers, cartoons, intermission,feature. Also do it with tv shows. You need to know which title the trailer/movie is on the disc then program it to play the titles in whatever order you want.

Example:
DISC ONE: TITLE 3 (TRAILER)
DISC TWO: TITLE 4 (TRAILER)
DISC THREE: TITLE 1 (MOVIE)

Once you have it programmed have the player play the program. Downsides are that the Sony screen will still come up briefly while the player exchanges discs.you could change background to just blue but there will always be a brief lag while player changes discs. Also resume play does not function while playing a program. If you need to get up or stop play, hit pause.