DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about running Speaker Wire, CAT5, and Cable.

Old 07-14-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question about running Speaker Wire, CAT5, and Cable.

I'm getting ready to run some speaker wire in my walls and up in the attic. My question is can I run the speaker wire down the same hole as my CAT5 and Cable without them interfering with one another? Im trying to avoid having to drill a second hole as it is very time consuming and hot as hell in the attic. Also, when I put the speaker wire plates in the walls can they be close to the cable/ethernet plates I already have?
Old 07-14-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't think of any reason that CAT5 cabling would cause any interference with your speaker cable. Go for it.
Old 07-15-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobDole42
I can't think of any reason that CAT5 cabling would cause any interference with your speaker cable. Go for it.
Thanks! Actually I'm going to run the two speaker wires alongside the cable that is already installed. I'm going to pull up the cable in the attic as far as I can and then tape the speaker wires to the cable and then pull the cable back through the hole with the attached string. I just didn't want to have to drill a second hole if it was not absolutely necessary.
Old 07-15-06, 10:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm getting ready to run some speaker wire in my walls and up in the attic. My question is can I run the speaker wire down the same hole as my CAT5 and Cable without them interfering with one another? Im trying to avoid having to drill a second hole as it is very time consuming and hot as hell in the attic. Also, when I put the speaker wire plates in the walls can they be close to the cable/ethernet plates I already have?
I have multiple wall plates that each have cable, ethernet, speaker connections, and a phone jack. These seem to work fine for me, so I doubt you'd have any problems with interference.
Old 07-15-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dead
I have multiple wall plates that each have cable, ethernet, speaker connections, and a phone jack. These seem to work fine for me, so I doubt you'd have any problems with interference.
Thanks again! I'm going to run the wires today and try to pick up the plates later today or tomorrow. I have the single speaker plates but I'm going to exchange them for two double speaker plates.