DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Thoughts on Denon AVR-3806 Receiver?

Old 07-12-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thoughts on Denon AVR-3806 Receiver?

I'm finally in the market to upgrade my 6 year old receiver to go along with my ever-growing HT setup.

I'm really in the market for a top flight receiver that upgrades all video through HDMI output. I was leaning toward waiting for a sale on a Yamaha at Best Buy for around $999, but I found the Denon AVR-3806 for $790 shipped.

I've read a bunch of websites and I'm confused. Some have it listed as a passthrough and some have it listed as analog-to-HDMI conversion. If I'm going to drop that much money I want to make sure it can output all signals through HDMI.

Anybody else here have one of these and any thoughts on if it's worth the cost?
Old 07-12-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they are all right, you just need to understand the system: It can output all signals via HDMI, but only as passthrough for analog signals. But it's a partial passthrough. It converts to a digital signal necessary to use HDMI, but with no processing, no resolution changes. So your TV needs to be able to receive 480i over HDMI, and not all of them can do this. Check that out, and you will be fine. Otherwise, you would need an Svideo cable in addition to the HDMI.

Denon does not take kindly to unauthorized dealers, and don't have many authorized online dealers. Not sure where you found it online, but if the warranty matters to you, make sure it is an authorized place.

The 3806 is an excellent machine. Not sure which Yammy you mean, but typically their products in that price range are equally excellent. Unless there was one little feature that makes one of these stand out, or a major price difference, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 07-12-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found it through the Continental One Pass Miles for Merchandise offer that started over in the HD Forum with the HD-DVD player. I'll figure that out on my TV and see if it would work, thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How does this one compare to the AVR-2807? I've been looking into that one but wasn't sure if it passthroughed or upconverted. I think the price is comparable.