Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

When Is The Best Time of Year To Buy Home Theater Electronics?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-09-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Had a discussion about this and I really had no idea. When is the best time of the year to buy items like tv's, recievers, speakers, etc... Please do not include Black Friday because the crowds and aggrivation just make it not worth it.
Old 07-09-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well there are 2 big electronics shows each year...CEDIA in September and CES in January. Most manufacturers announce their new models for the coming year during these shows. So basically once the new models are announced the existing lines aren't usually to far away from being discounted. For example, in the world of front projectors most of the new models are (officially) announced at CEDIA and are available anywhere from immediately to the beginning of the year. The models they are replacing are usually available for a discount shortly before the new lines are set to debut...and then any additional inventory is usually blown out once the new models are available for purcase. This however, assumes the old models will be phased out.
Old 07-09-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you have the money.

Seriously, I am not sure there is a best time. Often times the "old" models may be gone before the new ones come in.
Old 07-09-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The best time? NOW!

The quicker you buy it the quicker you get to enjoy it....
Old 07-09-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Brian - there is not "best time." You can sometimes snag good deals on discontinuted equipment, but there are no guarantees when and if that will happen. If you are in a position to buy now, do as Sdallnct says and start enjoying it! If not, then save your money until you are ready to buy. You can usually count of TVs going on sale around the Super Bowl and at the end of the model year. Speakers usually don't change from year to year, so unless a new line is being introduced the prices won't change much.
Old 07-10-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

broadwayblue has the timing nailed. If you can find a deal in Sept-Nov, that is perfect for last year's model. This is definitely true for PJs and receivers. Regular TVs are definitely cheaper during the holiday season.

Other stuff really doesn't have much schedule. DVD players are all over the map for release times, and don't get discounted much, other than holiday season sales. Speakers are occasionally discounted to make space for new models, but that might only happen every few years.
Old 07-10-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

After the Super Bowl?

Then again, there always seem to be pre-Super Bowl sales.
Old 07-11-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
After the Super Bowl?

Then again, there always seem to be pre-Super Bowl sales.

After the superbowl is the best time to buy Open Box TVs. I cant tell you how many big screens I use to sell during the 2 weeks before the superbowl, but would be returned the following 2 weeks after it and be brand new, but had to be sold Open Box... Sucked, but good for consumers as well..