DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Receiver turned off...need help

Old 07-09-06, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Receiver turned off...need help

I just moved in to a new apartment so that meant setting up the surround sound again. I have an Onkyo SR502 and when I was done setting it up, I tested Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut (DTS). The receiver turned off when the track was about to have a heavy bass (guy getting shot with an arrow).

I rewired everything and made sure the + and - were properly placed. Once I did that, I watched Batman Begins with no problem at all. I was watching Bad Boys (DTS) and it turned off again. Once again, a heavy bass (shotgun blast in the beggining) turned off the receiver.

The only different setup I did compared to the old apartment is that since my subwoofer is on the other side, I had to use an extension cable since it would not reach my receiver.

Here's my surround sound setup

Receiver - Onkyo SR 502
Speakers - Celestion
Subwoofer - Acoustech H100
speaker wires - 14 gauge

Any thoughts, what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
Old 07-09-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would check to see if any of the speaker cables are touching or close to touching. Then I would check to see if all the connections are tight.
Old 07-09-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the sub line level or speaker wire?
Old 07-09-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The speaker wires for the front and center touch each other. They all come in from the right hand side. I'll make sure to separate them.

I used an a/v cable for the sub, I read that you can use any cable for the sub and it won't lose quality. Should I just get a longer cable instead of an extension? Thanks.
Old 07-09-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
The speaker wires for the front and center touch each other. They all come in from the right hand side. I'll make sure to separate them.

I used an a/v cable for the sub, I read that you can use any cable for the sub and it won't lose quality. Should I just get a longer cable instead of an extension? Thanks.
Separating the speakers wires should fix the shutting-off problem. I would use a longer cable rather than an extension for the sub.
Old 07-23-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the advice guys. I moved my sub close to the receiver so I wouldn't need an extension and it sounds better. I think some of the wires were touching each other, so I used a cable cutter, to cut some of it off. I stripped the wires too much last time. Receiver hasn't shut off since.
Old 08-01-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm...my HK receiver does this sometimes. I thought it was protection for an unusally loud sound...I never thought it might be the wires touching.

I'll check that out!
Old 08-01-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Hmmm...my HK receiver does this sometimes. I thought it was protection for an unusally loud sound...I never thought it might be the wires touching.

I'll check that out!
Well it still could be. Wires touching and shorting is the usual culprit here but if you are clipping your receiver by driving it too hard you could force it to shut down. Also some receivers have a thermal overload cutoff too, if the box is getting too hot.
Old 08-01-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I said, I thought it was the receiver. It would happen in the exact same spot on several bass-heavy movies, so I thought maybe the receiver though my speakers couldn't handle the sound (which might be true.)

I'll definitely check the wires though.
Old 08-01-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I once had a piece of metal fall behind a speaker and land so that it was bridging the red and black cables right where the wires were exposed, causing my receiver to shut off during loud spots. It took me a couple of days to figure that one out.