DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need a little help with my onkyo and HDMI cable.

Old 07-01-06, 11:44 AM

Need a little help with my oppo and HDMI cable.

Well I just bought the new oppo hdmi player. I got it in the mail yesterday and set it all up, this was my first hdmi device and I was pretty syched to get it going. Everything starts up fine, the picture looks amazing but theres one problem. The audio is playing both through my tv and my speaker system. I read the manual and couldn't find anything on it, if anyone knows how I can get the hdmi cable to output video and not sound I would really appreciate the help.

Last edited by takingchase; 07-01-06 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-01-06, 03:00 PM

Can't you just turn down the volume on your TV? I think my Sony LCD has an option in the menus to turn off the TV speaker, but I've never messed with it, because I don't have that TV hooked up to an audio receiver.

Not sure if the DVD player would have an option to turn off the sound through HDMI or not.

Might try:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com
http://www.avsforum.com
Old 07-01-06, 10:12 PM

I actually meant to say oppo not onkyo, onkyo is who makes my home theater system. I thought about turning down the volume also but it's like my receiver rejects it and turns itself off because the sound is already running through the tv. I thought maybe my receiver was busted but I plugged my xbox360 in and had no problems, the receiver only shuts off when when the audio comes out of the tv and the theater system speakers.
Old 07-01-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Denon 2910 doesn't have the option to turn off audio via HDMI. Just turn off your tvs internal speakers to solve that part of the problem.

I just noticed your second post. How is everything hooked up? I take it HDMI is going to the tv; how is the audio connected to the receiver? If it is via digital coax or optical, perhaps the oppo needs to be set to output audio over both HDMI and the coax/optical connections? An oppo owner probably knows better than I do.

Last edited by BobDole42; 07-01-06 at 10:33 PM.