Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Plasma Question Model 37xs955 - Static?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a Sony Plasma (37 inch model bought in Dec. 04). In the past couple weeks I have noticed something that looks like static. It's all over the set if you get up to the set. This was not there before. You can notice it in blue's and other colors like when the DVD menu pops up.

Fortunately, from a foot or two away, you can't see it at all. But, this is bothersome.

Anyone have any idea why it's there or what it is?

Can this be fixed or is fixing a plasma too costly? I probably will just use the tv (static or not) for another year or two until I see what SED or other technologies have to offer. Also, waiting for cheaper prices.

Thought about selling it originally, but don't know if it's worth it. Don't know how I would pack it, how I would get it shipped, etc. I would want a service to pack it and ship it, but I don't know if any are available for a Plasma. Does the UPS store do this? I want a good service who will take care of it and make sure it gets to it's destination in one piece. I don't know the first thing about packing an item like this and wouldn't want to take the chance.

Thought about it before the static begun of course. Now, i'd be in a position. But, if I could get it fixed, I still might.
Old 06-15-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well you need to do some troubleshooting. Is this "static" on every source? Is it on every channel? Is it there when other equipment is on? Do you have light dimmers in the room? Have you checked all your cables to be sure they are tightly seated?
Old 06-15-06, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well you need to do some troubleshooting. Is this "static" on every source? Is it on every channel? Is it there when other equipment is on? Do you have light dimmers in the room? Have you checked all your cables to be sure they are tightly seated?
It wasn't there before, but it seems to be on all sources now. Checked regular channels (can't see it because they don't come in good to begin with). Also, on DVD. That's all I have connected. The TV is in the same spot as it has been the whole time. Nothing is different; I mean nothing has changed in the last year or so. It just seemed to be there one day without warning. There are dim lights in the room (Not ceiling, but a standing lamp that does it), but this has been there since before this began. Also, checked wires and changed inputs.
Old 06-16-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have eliminated all the external sources of interference then I would check with some local shops about a service call.