Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How long can your video cables be before you see degredation?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi all,

I recently rearranged my home theatre room, and now my dvd player is on the opposite side of the room as my projector. I went to monoprice and bought some of the cheapie 25 foot SVideo and Component cables, and hooked it up with both (to compare image quality). Neither one looks very good. I thought for sure when I had a shorter wire it looked better than that. Is 25 feet over the limit of what is generally acceptable? Or would I get better quality if I shelled out the bigger bucks for a higher quality wire?
Old 06-08-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25' is nothing for good cable. I've been happy with my Monoprice 25' Svideo cable, but I'll admit that I don't really care much about the picture from those sources. NTSC is so bad anyway, any damage the cable might do is miniscule in comparison. I don't watch any DVD via Svideo.

I would've thought their component cables better from other user reports. But I've never tried them.
Old 06-08-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
25' is nothing for good cable. I've been happy with my Monoprice 25' Svideo cable, but I'll admit that I don't really care much about the picture from those sources. NTSC is so bad anyway, any damage the cable might do is miniscule in comparison. I don't watch any DVD via Svideo.

I would've thought their component cables better from other user reports. But I've never tried them.
I'm sure there's some scientific measure, but I think that Spiky has the right idea - for good cable, that should be no problem.

You mentioned that you got the "cheapy" cables. That could be your issue right there.
Old 06-08-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Well, I got the $10 generic ones from monoprice. They had a $23 "premium" version... you think that might help? I just don't want to buy them, and have it make no difference. I hate returning things online.

Last edited by joeblow69; 06-08-06 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What doesn't look good? Have you calibrated with a setup DVD? Maybe some of the settings got reset when stuff was unplugged or something. This is all the same equipment, right?

The $10 monoprice is an RG-59 cable. It ought to be as good or better than any Monster 6' cable up to (probably) $200, except maybe for the connectors. I shudder to think what Monster would charge for a comparable 25' cable. The Monoprice Premium appears to be the same cable with better connectors; incidentally, the 3-line component version is only $18, the $23 one is 5-line component, which is actually a VGA cable. But there shouldn't be much difference unless you want the better connectors. It is remotely possible the connectors are at fault, but it is really the last thing to worry about. If you can wiggle/turn the connector (try the green/Y one first) and make effects on the screen, then I'd probably spring for the better connectors.

Hint: you might actually want the 5-line component. I ended up using a 5-line cable with 3 used for component and 1 for composite for my LDp. The 5th just hangs there, I'd use it for IR or something if it became necessary. You could also run Svideo on the extra 2 lines, but that may be more money and hassle than it is worth.

And $8-12 more for 6-10 better connectors is a valid price, btw. They aren't cheap. The ones I buy are $3 each. Same with my bro-in-law's pro compression connectors. Whereas cheap ones are several for a buck.