Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HD signal go bye-bye?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HD signal go bye-bye?

Old 05-24-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD signal go bye-bye?

My wife and I have a 46" Toshiba DLP (46HM95). Monday and presumably yesterday, everything worked fine.

Tonight, we go to watch Lost in HD, and ... nothing. There was audio, but no picture. Signal strength is showing as good (we use an antenna for local channels).

Our cable input was working fine, so was regular antenna. I checked our DVD player and game consoles, all working fine. But, no HD signal. I tried putting the antenna on the input the cable was on, nothing. Low signal strength, so no picture or audio, but still can get regular broadcast. Switched inputs back, and now the HD audio has disappeared and signal strength is down to low. Try a new antenna after Lost, and same effect.

So, essentially, it appears the television and antenna work fine, as everything but the HD signal is fine ... but where is our HD signal? Not one channel showing up.

Anyone encoutner this before? Know what to do?
Old 05-24-06, 11:52 PM
Banned

Did you call your cable, or satellite company? Maybe their having a problem with the HD signal being transmitted.
Old 05-24-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Did you call your cable, or satellite company? Maybe their having a problem with the HD signal being transmitted.
We get it over the good-ol' airwaves, so no help from them.

EDIT: I just remembered (and rediscovered) something. The reason we use airwaves is because we did not yet get a cable card and with the cable connection, only a couple of the locals came in (while all came in with the antenna). I can still get those couple channels on just the cable line, so it is something directly connected to the antenna/input.

I don't know if someone put an HD signal blocking tent over our house or what ...

Last edited by outer-edge; 05-25-06 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the antenna on your roof? Have you had bad weather? Maybe the antenna has turned or the connection to the antenna is flaky.

If you are seeing the problem with just one station, then it could be the broadcast. But it sounds like you aren't getting any HD channels at all.
Old 05-25-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gambit
Is the antenna on your roof? Have you had bad weather? Maybe the antenna has turned or the connection to the antenna is flaky.

If you are seeing the problem with just one station, then it could be the broadcast. But it sounds like you aren't getting any HD channels at all.
No roof, set top. No channels at all. Like I said above, I can still get those couple through the cable connection, but the antenna input has gone away completely after working flawlessly since January.
Old 05-25-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I would call the station that is locally broadcasting as see if it is on their end.
Old 05-25-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another idea on how to narrow down the problem is to check here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241

Find the thread for your local TV market and see if others complained about a signal problem.
Old 05-25-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I would call the station that is locally broadcasting as see if it is on their end.
As I mentioned, it is ALL the HD channels, not just one. We can't get any of the signals from our antenna now.

Another idea on how to narrow down the problem is to check here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241

Find the thread for your local TV market and see if others complained about a signal problem.
Thanks fore the link. No info (but a thread exists), so it is a good place to check.