Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Audio System Q's and advice needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wondering about a few things lately, First. I have a decent size flat screen television in my Bedroom with built in DVD player. Nothing too fancy and only used in Bedroom. There is always talk about which cables to use HDMI, Coaxial, component, DVI, etc... Well I wonder what type of transfer the built in DVD player uses, obviously its hired wired but with what??? Just curious about this question. Something to think about in the future, if they start to include this option in flat panel televisions.

Second. The TV I have has an optical audio out. but only S video, coaxial video in. Would you suggest to purchase a home theater system w/o DVD player since one is built in or to purchase one w/ DVD player included as to not lose audio transfering from TV into receiver?

OK and Third, I wish to purchase a Home theater system for this television in the bedroom. I do no necessarily need the wattage being that it is only in a 16x18 room. I have looked at Sony's, they have a lot of diff versions. Currently I am looking at Sony DAVFX10, totals 1000W, the best price I could find is $369. Some suggestions told me to stay away from Sony recent HTIB. A lot of people also raved about Onkyos. I looked into them as well. The only two with DVD players in system are:

HT-S787C
7.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System

-a little out of my price range, it runs for about $699
and
LS-V955
DVD Home Theater System
-I do not like the look and bulkiness of the speakers, the mesh on speaker feel as if they are old and tear easily.

I am looking to spend

Last edited by M2theAX; 05-18-06 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I generally stay away from built-in players. They break, and then you've wasted excess money and have to buy a separate player, anyway. The only reason for you to get another player at this point is when the TV's player breaks. Buying a 2nd built-in player is probably not worth the cash.

The optical output should work fine for getting audio from the TV's player to your receiver. Putting a DVDp in the receiver wouldn't change that.

Stay away from ALL Sony HTiBs. You ought to be able to find one of the Onkyos for a better price than $700.
Old 05-25-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump
Old 05-25-06, 08:15 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to keep this TV for a while? The DVDp is likely connected via S-video (but could just as easily be via composite). There is basically no chance it is connected via component (there would really be no point with your non-progressive/HD set).

I'd consider buying a separate DVDp. Connect it via S-video, which is the best you'll get with your TV.

As far as HTiBs, I agree to avoid Sony ones. Yamaha are not awful, but you get what you pay for. If you go with a HTiB, get something that comes with a pseudo-receiver like the Onkyo's and Yamaha's do. That way you can upgrade the receiver and/or speakers one at a time.

I wouldn't get a DVDp with the HTiB. They are generally garbage.