DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Avia or DVE for my new 1080p TV? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/463864-avia-dve-my-new-1080p-tv.html)

Teremei 04-30-06 06:31 PM

Avia or DVE for my new 1080p TV?

Hi guys, I'm awaiting a wednesday delivery on my new toshiba 62mx195. I am screwing in my surround sound speakers before it gets here. I actually had these speakers for 1 year just set on top of stuff. But because of this TV I am changing where the TV is going to be and using the length of the room more properly for surround sound.

The azon reviews would lead me to beleive AVIA calibration is a little easier for novice people like me. Is this true? Should I get the avia over the digital video essentials? I just want to get the most out of my surround sound and 1080 capable TV display. I've already got some help in how to feed the reciever from the various sources. Now I need the best or easiest calibration device to use.

Bill Geiger 04-30-06 07:00 PM

DVE is very easy. The Avia is more advanced I would say.

Spiky 05-01-06 09:22 AM

Either is fine. But they are DVD resolution. If you have access to HD Net, they run some test screens every Tuesday morning. Those would be better. Avia and DVE will have versions on HDDVD/BD eventually, this would be the best once available. DVE is already available on D-VHS, but not many have such a player.

mbs 05-01-06 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
DVE is very easy. The Avia is more advanced I would say.

Weird, I would say the opposite.

Teremei 05-02-06 07:34 PM

I got avia. This is really an easy question that can be answered with a simple search. I shouldn't have even asked it. Thanks anyway though!

Sdallnct 06-04-07 09:13 PM

Overstock has the DVE disc for $16.00 + $3.00 shipping. Seems like a good deal. Going to pick one up.

Yea, I know not HD, but since I have blu-ray...going to have to wait.

Josh H 06-04-07 09:21 PM

DVE is $13 something shipped from Deepdisountdvd with the 20% off coupon.

Just ordered a copy to use on my new set.

Sdallnct 06-04-07 09:54 PM

Cool even better. Thanks, just ordered.

DVD Polizei 06-04-07 10:50 PM

DVE:HD-DVD is around $18.74 with free shipping right now. I might get one.

gimmepilotwings 06-05-07 09:22 AM

I have both the Avia and the DVE HD combo.

I thought that the Avia was much easier to run the first time. I tried to put in the HD side of the DVE and was lost. All it does is give you the patterns, and expects you to figure out itself; that is, until you put in the SD side. The SD side gives you the tutorial that I was expecting on the HD side, and makes it just as easy to use.

Oh, I got my DVE HD for about $6 GCO shipped from Buy.com's possible price mistake. It is now about $15 GCO shipped.

DVD Polizei 06-05-07 09:37 PM

I was wondering about that. I have the Avia SD version. I'll just use that if I need to. Or hek, maybe just use a favorite movie of the colors I like.

gimmepilotwings 06-06-07 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I was wondering about that. I have the Avia SD version. I'll just use that if I need to. Or hek, maybe just use a favorite movie of the colors I like.

The HD/SD combo is basically the same thing. The HD side uses 1080p material, where the SD side uses the same 1080p material, downconverted to 480p.

Josh H 06-12-07 09:48 PM

I got DVE (regulard one not the HD combo disc) last night. It was ok, but has one of the least intuitive menu systems I've ever seen. Probably took me 15 minutes just to get to the damn basic calibration stuff, and even then I had to figure out how to use the title jump feature on my new player to find it. There was far too much explaining of picture quality technology and stuff for my tastes.

That said, the tests have fine instructions once you get to them, but overall I'd recommend shelling out the extra $$$ for Avia as I rented it years ago and it was definitely much more intuitive to use.

But as is, I'm ok with DVE now that I figured out how to just use the title feature and jump to the section, that just has the test screens with no instructions etc. I can use it with no problems in the future.

Sdallnct 06-16-07 05:35 PM

Got the DVE disc. Playing around a little. Lots to it! Though already seeing I did not have things set up correctly.