Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Home Theater In-A-Box should I buy?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving out so I'm piecing together my home theater set-up. Since I most likely won't be getting cable OR the Internet ($80 a month sucks) this will be my primary source of entertainment besides a few concerts a month.

I'm stuck between a cheaper Sony 5.1 system and an Onkyo 7.1 system.

The Sony ($170)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

The Onkyo ($450)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

The Onkyo has a bit of an edge since the speakers are bigger. The subwoofer is much bigger also. It also has the extra two channels. Even though I won't need beyond 6.1 yet, it would be kind of cool to have.

The big draw-back is that this will be the home theater I use in apartments, hopefully until I get a house a few years down the line. I won't be able to blare this thing at ridiculous volumes. That's where I'd imagine the Onkyo would shine.

So what do you all think? Save money and take a hit on quality or spend more and enjoy it?
Old 04-28-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Onkyo HTiB offerings have always been at or near best in class. Check their online outlet (shoponkyo.com) for some great refurb deals. Their refurbs are a steal and very reliable unlike some other companies.
Old 04-28-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Don't buy a HTIB.

If you really are, go with the Onkyo
Old 04-28-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to add onto this thread...

I am also looking to buy a good system. I do not want to spend a fortune cause this will be used with a 32 inch tube tv, got my bedroom. In the future when I see what that has to offer I will buy a system to go with the flat screen. I am just looking to get something good for the money. I have a TV in bedroom with built in DVD and VHS player. I know some are already in shock. Any recommendations? price limit would like to be under 500, would also like something nice w.o the big speakers. Thanks, please feel free to move post if it is unwanted here.
Old 04-29-06, 03:25 AM

I just bought an Onkyo S780 HTiB and it is awesome. Well worth the money. It is 100x better than the Kenwood HTiB that I bought back in 2000.
Old 04-29-06, 09:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I agree, you can't go wrong with Onkyo.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Don't buy a HTIB.

If you really are, go with the Onkyo
Old 04-29-06, 12:45 PM

No Htib

Yamaha 5.1 Receiver at 120watts per channel: $179.00
Bic Acoustech Bookshelf speakers for front and rear: $99.95 (a pair).
Bic Acoustech Center: $139.95
and an Athena 400watt powered sub: $149.00
Thumpin' home theatre: Priceless

If you would drop over $400 on a HTIB, stick that money in the bank and then save a few hundred more and do it right. Remember when it comes to this stuff: Buy cheap, Buy Twice.
Old 04-29-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok here is one more curve ball to throw at you. I have a decent flat screen tv, this tv is in my bedroom so it will not be my main entertainment area jsut for personal viewing, maybe with the girlfriend as well. The TV im using is a panasonic, with built in DVD player. I want to get a HTIB, I am not sure but i think i woudl prefer to have one with dvd player included, im worried about losing audio goign out from tv to receiver, then from receiver out. With a HTIB, the audio wil be going directly to speakers, any suggestions? I am in the price range of < $500 or $600
Old 05-01-06, 05:57 PM

I would go with the Onkyo. It's worth the money.
Old 05-01-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this the other day, and am thinking about picking it up. Any thoughts?

http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/p...ct=543&refer=2
Old 05-02-06, 09:52 AM
LiK

i got a yamaha receiver that was sold as a htib before htib was common a few years ago. it was basically a full receiver with speakers included and not a standard htib. the quality is still amazing after all these years compared to current htib. i suggest getting a mid-ranged receiver over htib.

but if budget is a problem, htib are the way to go. i'm not sure what's good but i know you should avoid sony htibs. i've read lots of reviews about their speakers heating up and hissing a lot.
Old 05-10-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LiK
i got a yamaha receiver that was sold as a htib before htib was common a few years ago. it was basically a full receiver with speakers included and not a standard htib.
I am not familiar with the two products the OP mentioned but I had the Yamaha HTiB and it served me well. I eventually sold the receiver and upgraded it (for more inputs) still keeping the original speakers. The speakers are "good enough" in that they work better than the TV's sound. But, when I want to upgrade, I can.

I would only get a HTiB if:

1. It can be upgraded by taking away specific components. That is, speakers aren't hardwired or use some weird proprietary connection.
2. If it can't be upgraded, consider if the HTiB can go to a room where sdurround is needed, but you don't need the best of the best: a den, kid's room, etc.
Old 05-10-06, 11:00 AM

FYI - I saw a Denon HTIB system with 7.1 at Costco yesterday for $450. The receiver had full S-Video and Component Video too which is rare. Might be something to look at.
Old 05-10-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I got the Onkyo 780 about a month ago, and it's great. Quite loud, and sounds quite good. One of the first dvd's I tried was Motley Crue: Carnival of Sins, and it sounded like I was at the concert. [Of course I had to turn it up loud]. But it still soudns good low; we have a toddler in the house, so I don't crank it that much either. The receiver has a video switch, so I've got my DVD player and HD cable box component cables going through it. I know there's a lot of anti-HTiB feeling, but this is a good one. Hooking it up took a while, but that was primarily due to the sheer quantity of crap [TV, HDDVR, PS2, cable box, Xm radio, 8 speakers, etc.]
The speakers use regular speaker wire, the subwoofer uses a plug type thing but I don't think it's proprietary.
As an excellent bonus, the Harmony remote does everything on the Onkyo, so now I'm using only one remote. The only thing I can't do from the couch is put in a dvd or PS2 game.

Of course, two weeks after I bought the 780, they released the 790, but i think the only differences are an increase in wattage, and XM-ready.

Other people with the 780--Question about the 7.1 speakers. I've got a Panasonic F65 dvd player hooked to the reciever with optical cable. DD/DTS 5.1 sounds great. I tried putting in one of the Lord of the Rings EEs because I thought it was 6.1 or 7.1, but I didn't hear anything out of the rear surrounds. I know they work, because I use one of the DSP modes for XM, and I was watching a dvd the other day [Twilight Zone, I think] and I had it on DTS-ES and the receiver was sending something to the rear surrounds.
In order to actually get 'true' 6.1 or 7.1, do I need a DVD player that can output those? Or if it can output DD/DTS via optical, that should cover it? It's not a huge deal, because I think I only have 2 dvd's that have 6.1 or 7.1, and I use one of the 'faking' modes to send audio to the rear surrounds.
Old 05-10-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may be worthwhile to note that Onkyo and Denon HTiBs (at least the upper ones) are actual receivers combined with some speakers. They are not the same as the standard HTiBs from most companies. The speakers may be similar in capability, but the receiver portion is far superior. We've discussed differences in amps in quite a bit of detail in the past.

6.1 should be transmitted by any DVDp with a digital audio output. There are no 7.1 DVD recordings, although you might have 7 speakers (and sub) instead of 6. Perhaps you didn't have the receiver set properly for the DTS-ES sound from LOTR. Mine certainly work, doubtful it is a disc problem.
Old 05-10-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Cool, I'll try it again. I might indeed have had it on the wrong settings--this thing has got like five million sound settings, half of which I've never heard of. And I might have chosen a scene that didn't have a lot of surround anyway. Maybe I had it outputting or receiving Dolby Digital 5.1-EX instead of DTS 6.1-ES (Discrete).
Old 05-10-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DD-EX is also a 6.1 codec. On LOTR, it isn't as good as the DTS, but it should also have something in the rear surrounds.
Old 05-11-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ANother vote for the Onkyo. I have had mine for probably 2 years now and bought it thinking I would have to upgrade later. Well, I still have not needed to because it is serving me well for the money. It is not a $2,000 system but for what I needed in our current house it can't be beat for the money.

ALSO, Spiky made a great point that I want to re-emphasize.
"Onkyo and Denon HTiBs (at least the upper ones) are actual receivers combined with some speakers. They are not the same as the standard HTiBs from most companies."

I suspect it would be hard to find a better system for the money.
Old 05-11-06, 03:43 PM
Banned

Onkyo Onkyo here!!!

I have a 6.1 system and LOVE IT...and i live in an apartment.
Old 05-12-06, 01:47 PM

When I purchased the Onkyo. I get my new apartment AND my bad ass sound system tomorrow.
Old 05-13-06, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aron41
When I purchased the Onkyo. I get my new apartment AND my bad ass sound system tomorrow.
You're going to love it. Seriously. Mine was refurb. and never had a problem with it...ever.
Old 05-13-06, 07:27 PM

I'll go off the map with this:

Paradigm Cinema 70 system $499
Pioneer 5.1 receiver $130
Athena AS-P4000 400-Watt 10" Subwoofer $150

That's $779, I didn't include a DVD player as the Onkyo system doesn't. You can find similar receivers and subs of different brands in the same price range, those are just examples. That setup is well worth the extra $300.

Paradigm site . cNET review . another review

I'm not knocking the Onkyo, I'm sure they sound good for $450 (I wouldn't even consider the Sony system). The nice thing about the Paradigm Cinema series is the real center channel speaker. The center channel is the most important speaker for a home theater, and the Onkyo speakers are all the same- the center channel isn't any different than the surround speakers. You mentioned that you're not looking to crank it up, but a quality receiver will sound better even at low volumes. That's also where the better center channel will help- two mids and a tweeter vs. one. When you get a house down the line, this will kill for a bedroom setup.

I agree with rlogle. Even on a budget, you can spend just a little more and get sooooo much more for your money. But, it's your money, and your decision. I think it's worth some thought, though.

I just saw your 'I bought the Onkyo' post. Return it!!

Last edited by ShallowHal; 05-13-06 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-13-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reposting:

OK here is one more curve ball to throw at you. I have a decent flat screen TV, this TV is in my bedroom so it will not be my main entertainment area just for personal viewing, maybe with the girlfriend as well. The TV im using is a panasonic, with built in DVD player. I want to get a HTIB, I am not sure but I think I would prefer to have one with dvd player included, im worried about losing audio goign out from tv to receiver, then from receiver out. With a HTIB, the audio wil be going directly to speakers, any suggestions? I am in the price range of < $500 or $600 Any suggestions? please help.
Old 05-14-06, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by M2theAX
Reposting:
I think poeple aren't answering you because you're in someone else's thread. Start yer own, matey. Arr.
Old 05-14-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK sorry, heh, will do, thanks shallowhal