Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Samsung DLP's, good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samsung DLP's, good?

Hey guys I'm itching for a little more sharpness on my HDTV (tv) and xbox360. I'm currently playing (and watching) on a 5yr old panny HDTV which only have 1 component hookup (and nothing higher). . So I constantly switch between 360 and HDTV. Would be nice to have an HDMI hookup to take advantage of that HDTV as well. I was considering the newer 26" samsung LCD at $1399. But then started to see some larger Samsung DLP's that would certainly be an upgrade from my 5yr old 47". And they are in the $2000 range. So I thought why not just go a little higher and upgrade the big guy instead.

What do you guys think of the Samsung 50-60" DLPs and which do you think gives you the most bang for the buck? Would like to stay near to $2000 as possible.
Old 04-26-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My brother in law has a 40 and loves it, my other brother in law had a 50 and the bulb blew after about 200 hours and he returned it to Costco. I think he liked it before that.

I don't believe the xbox 360 has hdmi, so I am not sure what you are referring to there.
Old 04-26-06, 10:12 PM

I'm reffering to HDtelivision channels for HDMI. You know sports, discovery HD, ect. .

Anyway I went out shopping and saw many TVs I liked, and weighed the pros and cons of cost, picture size, and 720p or 1080p. My local Tweeter has a Toshiba 62MX195 on sale that is brand new because they need to move them out. It's a 62" and it is also 1080p resolution, for only $2800. I can hardly pass that up. Any owners of the 62MX195?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_62MX...-31634322.html
Old 04-26-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HDMI is not required to get high definition content. It is simply a type of input/output, much like component video, except digital. You will notice very little, if any, difference in the picture quality between the two. You will be glad your new has HDMI inputs, though, in the future, for things like PS3 and HD-DVD/Blu-ray players.
Old 04-27-06, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
HDMI is not required to get high definition content. It is simply a type of input/output, much like component video, except digital. You will notice very little, if any, difference in the picture quality between the two. You will be glad your new has HDMI inputs, though, in the future, for things like PS3 and HD-DVD/Blu-ray players.
Exactly, I'm planning ahead. I know PS3 will use HDMI and by the way I also know HDMI is not "required" as I run HDTV via component right now. There's an eerie lack of reviews of the Toshiba 62MX195 online.

-no Cnet review
-1 azon customer review
-circuit city doesn't carry toshiba DLPs (online reviews null)
-Alot of people on AVSforum like it though. .

Any thoughts here?
Old 04-27-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Toshiba, like almost all 1080p tvs on the market, doesn't accept 1080p signals, but rather scales all signals to 1080p.
Old 04-30-06, 05:52 PM

Well I went with the Toshiba 1080p 62mx195. I know it doesn't "accept" true 1080p (just like the sony SXRD) but I got a good deal on it, and I think I made the right desicion. I cannot WAIT to watch some movies on that 62" thing!!