Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I start looking to upgrade my TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm currently running things with a 30" Sony HD-ready TV (with HDMI), that I bought almost 2 years ago; it's a CRT, though. While 30" is nice, and while the TV has a great picture, I can't help but want more - as is the American tradition . I'm not sure I can even afford to upgrade, as I'm working to finish my basement, but those 12 or 18-month interest-free finance deals can sound appealing. Additionally, I know that when the prices come down, and there's a clearer indication of whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will prevail, that I'll want to make that upgrade, as well. I've heard that a 30" won't yield too much of a change, especially since I sit about 8' from the screen. All of that stated, would it be premature or even illogical to keep an eye out for deals on TVs? If not, what would be some good TVs, of a Sony or Panasonic brand, on which to focus? I'd like to keep the cost below $1800. Thanks!
Old 04-25-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are generally happy with your current TV, this is a poor year to upgrade. Too many things are in flux. I know the traditional wisdom says there is always something new coming, so you might as well buy now, but there are many KNOWN changes happening right now. They need to finish these changes and actually get them out into products.

SED
HDMI 1.3
Bluray
HD-DVD
1080p
MPEG4
Future of component video connections
Large flat LCDs (over 40")

All these things are just being worked out right now. I would say wait til 2007 to start shopping since you already have an HDTV that you can enjoy now. Or at least the holiday season.