Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a new TV < $1,700 please.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a new TV. I currently have a 32" SDTV that just isn't cutting it for HTPC and Xbox 360 use.. I would really like to get a HDTV.

MUST have PC input connection.. I'm thinking around the 40" range and would like to spend around $1,500.

Probably don't want to go Plasma since I'm going to be running Meedio and the 360 on it and I'm afraid of burn-in. So I guess it's either DLP or LCD..

I would appreciate any recommendations..

Thanks much!
Old 04-05-06, 01:02 PM

Check out the Samsung HDTV DLP tv's from Amazon. They are several hundred cheaper than BestBuy.

I picked up a 56", for about $1800 delivered for free with no sales tax. Its a great TV. Well worth it for the bucks.
Old 04-05-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Samsung DLPs. I have the 50 inch version and love it. It replaced a fairly new (2 years old) Mits CRT HDTV and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-05-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, get the bigger DLP you can get. A 720p DLP should be in your range.

And again the bigger screen you can get.
Old 04-05-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well if the wife ever does approve this...

I will most likely get it online for the fact of saving tax and they are usually hundreds cheaper then B&M.. I guess shipping and tax comes close to even so it's basically where it's cheaper.

I will probably spend the couple hundred (which sucks balls) for the extended warranty..

So what size DLP should I be looking for? What kind of stands does everyone use for a tv that size? My wife doens't like the retro looking see through glass ones but I've never seen any other look for tv's that size..
Old 04-05-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wooh... Just read a review on Amazon about a Samsung DLP..

I purchased this unit to use it with my new xBox 360. I soon discovered the video picture is .6 seconds behind the audio. That's right! Over a half second delay between audio and video. When I contacted Samsung they told me to increase the delay on my surround sound speakers. Are you kidding me? If you don't intend to use this TV with an external sound system then it's great! But if you intend to use it with a surround sound system the don't buy it unless you don't mind lip sync issues or pulling the trigger on your game page and have over a half second delay on the video.
Is this true?!?!
Old 04-05-06, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tbird2340

Is this true?!?!
I'll find out in a week or so when i test a friends Xbox 360 on my tv.
Old 04-05-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool.. Don't forget to post results.. Thanks
Old 04-05-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this true?!?!
hm. never encountered this problem. I don't use the sets internal speakers, but that shouldn't make a difference. Sounds like an isolated incident to me. I know uberjoe has the same tv and a 360 and has reported any problems (and he's picky!)
Old 04-06-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is some talk on avsforum about this audio lag. It seems to be pretty sporadic and depends on what sources you use.
Old 04-06-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question.. Say I get a HDTV.. We don't have cable and get 4 local channels. Will the picture blow on an HDTV from broadcast stations? Say they don't broadcast in HD the entire time..
Old 04-06-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this true?!?!
Not for me.
Old 04-13-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second, third, and forth all the above. Samsung is a great DLP provider, and that is the way to go right now. Here is a link to the HL-R5067W, it has all the inputs you are looking for.
Old 04-13-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I just bought a Sony Grand WEGA™ 42" 3LCD Rear-Projection HDTV model KDF-E42A10. It's being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I will like it!
Old 04-13-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The audio/video lag would be a non-issue of you use seperate video/audio processing, wouldn't it? I have a few buddies with Samsung DLP's, and nobody's complained... however nobody I personally know is using the onboard speakers.
Old 04-14-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There can be lag anywhere. Most higher-end receivers/preamps now offer audio delay settings to remove any lag like this.
Old 04-14-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
hm. never encountered this problem. I don't use the sets internal speakers, but that shouldn't make a difference. Sounds like an isolated incident to me. I know uberjoe has the same tv and a 360 and has reported any problems (and he's picky!)
Darn right, I'm picky. And I've not noticed any lag.
Old 04-15-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've seen this lag on a samsung TV as well. It made Guitar Hero pretty much unplayable since your timing has to be right on. Check out more info here:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...09/an/0/page/0

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558125

Last edited by DVDChris; 04-15-06 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
I've seen this lag on a samsung TV as well. It made Guitar Hero pretty much unplayable since your timing has to be right on.
You're referring to the lag that can occur with non 720p games here though
(isn't 720p a requirement for all games on the 360?). The Samsungs, at least
the newer ones, have a setting called "game" that throws the tv down to 480i
to eliminate that (a quick look at your top link has a few folks mention this,
though in a somewhat vague manner).
Old 04-16-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am in the market for a new TV. I currently have a 32" SDTV that just isn't cutting it for HTPC and Xbox 360 use.. I would really like to get a HDTV.

MUST have PC input connection.. I'm thinking around the 40" range and would like to spend around $1,500.

Probably don't want to go Plasma since I'm going to be running Meedio and the 360 on it and I'm afraid of burn-in. So I guess it's either DLP or LCD..

I would appreciate any recommendations..

Thanks much!
For $1450 you can get a 100+" HD front projector like the Panny AE900. Keep the 32" SDTV set for times when you just want to watch the news for a few minutes and use the projector for everything else. It will be one of the best purchases you have ever made. I pulled the trigger on the AE700 just over a year ago, passing over a smaller 42" plasma or 50-60" DLP rear projection...and I'm 100% sure I made the right decision. Nothing comes close to the experience you get from a HD front projector. I'm not even using a screen, just projecting on a brown wall. Everyone who comes over is totally amazed...as am I. Just think about it before you blow $1500 on another television.
Old 04-18-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I just bought a Sony Grand WEGA™ 42" 3LCD Rear-Projection HDTV model KDF-E42A10. It's being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I will like it!

Please post your impressions if you get the chance. I'm in the market, and this model really caught my eye. I'd be especially interested in how the viewing angles are - if the optimal viewing position is really limited or if you have some freedom of movement.
Old 04-20-06, 02:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought the Sony two months ago, and it is great. The PC looks perfect on it. I had originally bought the 42 inch Samsung DLP TV, but had to return two different Tv's( Circuit City) because of the dreaded DLP rainbow effect. Right now, the TV is about 9 FT from my couch, and have had no problems with the picture- regardless of where I am sitting.
Old 04-20-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
I bought the Sony two months ago, and it is great. The PC looks perfect on it. I had originally bought the 42 inch Samsung DLP TV, but had to return two different Tv's( Circuit City) because of the dreaded DLP rainbow effect. Right now, the TV is about 9 FT from my couch, and have had no problems with the picture- regardless of where I am sitting.
That's about how far away I'd be as well. Right now, I have a 27" 4:3 Wega, and this looks like the upgrade I want to make.
Old 04-22-06, 08:54 PM

I've got a Grand WEGA 50" 3LCD and it's great. Not right out of the box but after doing some tweaking of the settings from over at AVS it looks great. Here's a handheld screenshot I made the other day for someone. It actually looks much better than the photo below. I can't see any motion blur except extreme close-ups with team sports.

Click on the thumbnail

Grateful11
Old 04-22-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grateful11
I've got a Grand WEGA 50" 3LCD and it's great. Not right out of the box but after doing some tweaking of the settings from over at AVS it looks great. Here's a handheld screenshot I made the other day for someone. It actually looks much better than the photo below. I can't see any motion blur except extreme close-ups with team sports.

Click on the thumbnail

Grateful11
I ordered the 50" yesterday from amazon - the deal was too good to pass up considering how long I've been debating taking the plunge. I can't wait for it to get here. If possible, could you post a link to the AVS settings you used to tweak it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.