Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Standard definition digital tv

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-16-06, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a cheap 32" set to get me by until the 1080p' s become more affordable. Is it worth spending a little extra money on SD digital technology?
Old 03-16-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, I would say if you aren't going HD, there's no reason to spend any extra money.
Old 03-16-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find a good HDTV for near the same price as the digital SD sets if you hunt around. For example, my local Sam's Club has the Sony 32" HS420 HD set for $599...
Old 03-22-06, 01:23 AM

If $599 is out of your range for the time being... I saw a Sharp 32" digital SD for approx. $329 advertised at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago. There is also another brand advertised for a slightly higher price in this weeks flyer (I believe it has a flat screen). The digital SD will give you an amazing picture (compared to analog) and it will allow you to pick many digital transmissions with an antenna.
Old 03-22-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, all sets > 25" manufactured after March 1st are required to include a digital tuner. I would wait a little bit if you can the old stuff will get moved out and even the cheapo's will have digital capability. BTW I bought a 27" Toshiba SDTV for $299 for the bedroom. Hard to beat the cost/quality ratio for CRT, the picture is very good and by the time you account for sitting about 9' away I doubt I could tell the difference in resolution between it and a similiarly sized HD set.