Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

i need help setting up my onkyo and panasonic edtv

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-14-06, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a panasonic edtv (Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK Proline 42" Plasma Display) and an Onkyo Home Theatre Set (ONKYO HTS680B
6.1CH Pure Component Home Theater System). I have been able to set up the TV display using an S-video cord running to the display monitor, and av cords to my digital cable box. However, despite all the extra inputs, I have not been able to hook up my DVD player or playstation to the reciever. When I hook them up using av cords, nothing comes out. Not even sound. Am I setting it up incorrectly, or is my system defective? The only cord I have running to my display is the s-video cable from the "monitor out" on my reciever. If anyone has had similar problems, or has similiar hardward, I would really appreciate any advice. Trying to enjoy some good TV shouldn't be this complicated!
Old 03-14-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I used to have this reciever & if you're feeding video to the reciever via composite (yellow) then out to the TV through S-video, the receiver can't make the conversion. It either has to be S-video in & out, or yellow composite both ways.

If you have a progressive scan DVD player you should be using component inputs over either of those anyway. Since that reciever doesn't have component inputs or outputs you'l have to send directly to the TV. Same with the cable box, I wouldn't even bother sending video thru the reciever at all.

As far as audio, DO NOT use the red/white AV cables. These won't carry a digital signal & thus not true 5.1. Send DVD/cable box/playstation to the optical or coaxial inputs (I think there are three on this reciever & they're assignable).

Hope some of that helps, good luck!
Old 03-14-06, 07:19 PM

Thanks Eddie W! That was exactly what I needed to hear! I'm going to go and do all of that right after work! One question though...are there different cables that I can use for the optical and coaxial inputs (duh! obviously there must be! sorry) What are they called, and can I just get them at Fry's?
Old 03-14-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeah, you can get an optical cable just about anywhere these days. The coaxial can be connected using any cable with RCA connetions on the ends. You could even re-use the yellow composite cable you already have to carry this signal.

Also, if you may have to go into your DVD players menu & enable it to output a digital bitstream once you hook up the optical. It should be somewhere in the setup menu. And don't forget to set the video output to 16x9 if you've been using it on a regular 4x3 TV before getting all this new stuff.

Last edited by Eddie W; 03-14-06 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 08:32 AM

thanks again...i was on the verge of returning everything before you filled me in...i'll try all that this weekend!