Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Media Servers.....anyone buy one?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I sure love the idea of these. I find that I rarely watch dvds when I have something tivo'd simply because I don't have to go over to the shelf, pick one out, etc. Yeah, stupid, but that's the way it is. So I have looked into media servers, but they seem new enough that they are crazy expensive. But I have also wondered, do they have some special agreement with movie studies that let you rip them to the server? That seems to be the way these work, yet I know I can't just rip a dvd to my computer. Why can media servers work this way?

Also seems that a person should wait on these because the smaller 500gb units won't mean squat once HD dvds come out.

Some have the 200 dvd carosel type player, but I had an early one of those and it sucked. Terrible menu, etc., but maybe that has changed.
Old 03-13-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I've been looking at them as well. I would pick one up, but like you said, they're pretty expensive. Once they drop in price, as well as get bigger, I'll buy one.

You could always set up a computer server for your movies. Same type of thing, but cheaper. Probably not as convenient, though.
Old 03-13-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

How does one watch dvds from that, though? I currently use my computer as my dvd player, etc. and use it for tv shows recorded, but I don't understand how the dvds work.
Old 03-13-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.kaleidescape.com/ is currently the only legal way to rip dvds. Although Kaleidescape has been sued for violating their contract with the DVDCCA, so who knows what will happen. Very slick system, but crazy expensive.

An Escient DVD-M100 (http://www.escient.com/products/dvdm100.html) might be a good match for you. They are usually available used on Audiogon for around $1500. They work with the Sony ES DVD changer (around $700 I think). I use an Escient Tunebase 200 to manage my CD collection and love it. The Escient system is very easy to use and looks very cool. You put in a disc and it looks it up, downloads the cover art, chapter info, etc. and adds it to your collection. I can't imagine listening to music any other way.

Last edited by BobDole42; 03-13-06 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 12:10 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Sony Digital Living System looks pretty sweet. It's an MCE system with a 200 disc changer that is integrated into the MCE. And the list price is only $1,999.

I personally use a MCE-HTPC with a couple 500 GB drives for serving DVD media. You can get about 75 discs per drive (which is little compared to most people's collections, including my own). I wish a solution existed for around 2,000 DVDs, but that just isn't feasible with how much storage one would need.
Old 03-13-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
How does one watch dvds from that, though? I currently use my computer as my dvd player, etc. and use it for tv shows recorded, but I don't understand how the dvds work.
What OS do you have on this computer?
Old 03-13-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

XP media Edition
Old 03-13-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sony system is another interesting option. I still think the Escient interface is by far the slickest (except for Kaleidescape, which is well over $25k).

Any home-brew solution that involves ripping your DVD collection is, of course, illegal. Even if it weren't I'd probably stick with something like the Escient since you can swap out the changer for an HD-DVD/blu-ray changer down the road.