DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home theater system help...

Old 03-02-06, 09:55 AM

Home theater system help...

Last night I was sitting here and watching Rent, and I kept getting a little frustrated. My bed is located right next to my back right speaker. I was watching the movie, but everytime someone would sing higher notes, the SR speaker would buzz a little... It would sound like it is trying to come up with the right note, but it is more of a muffled buzzing noise. Now My stuff is far from top of the line, but I did pay good money for it... So I expect it to run good. I dont know if it supposed to be like this, or if I am using the wrong wire, or ???... The reciever I have is a Pioneer VSX-V514... My Speakers are Isignia Brand (I work at Best Buy, so I got a hefty discount). These speakers cost Retail 200, so I expect to work better than my old AKAI speakers that came with my old reciever/DVD Player. I do get more of a sound from them, but that buzzing is annoying, and I was told that "Rent" is awsome in surround, but I feel like I can't here it out of the Rear... When I go close to the speaker, it is vibrating, so sound is coming out, it just buzzing sometimes... The wire going to my speakers came with the set, so I don't know how good it is... Would this make a big difference? Should I hear more from the back?

Another question I have is my Reciever has a DVD/LD Button and a DVD 5.1 button... When I press DVD/LD is when I get the options of how I would like the movie to sound... You know, theater like, or music like, etc. Plus, all the speaking comes from the center speaker... When I press DVD 5.1, I get the sound coming from the sides and not the center... DD 5.1 surround is supposed to include the center speaker right? And the talking is supposed to come from their right?

I am sorry if this is confusing... I feel as though I have rambled on... I just want this all to work well!

Click on the link and you can see the speakers I have at the top... However when you click on them, it says they are not their... These are 6.1 speakers, but I am only using 5 of them...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=11147

I would really appreciate any help...
Old 03-02-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is the crossover point for your rear speakers? It could be that they are receiving a frequency that they can't reproduce. Although that would cause more of a distorted sound, not necessarily a buzzing. Try setting the crossover to 120hz (it's probably at 80hz now) to see if that improves things.

Also, is it only the SR speakers? Play the section of the DVD that causes the problem and move closer to the other speakers to see if they have the same problem.
Old 03-03-06, 05:16 PM

My receiever only gives me the options of 100hz, 150hz, or 200... None of which stop the buzzing... I only here it on the high notes... What difference does the speaker wire make?
Old 03-03-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hm. I hate to say this, but it sounds like you are just hearing the limitations of the speakers. $200 for 5 speakers and a sub doesn't buy much. If you can only hear it when you are close to the speaker, I would just move the surround speaker that is bothering you away from the listening position.