Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does your TV look a lot bigger in your living room, than the store?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-25-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was just thinking about this the other day -

I could SWEAR that my TV grew in size 20-30 % when i opened the box in my living room ( btw i got the 50" sxrd).

When I first opened it up and got the top of the box off i said, "oh my god - that is HUGE. Is this the 60 inch ? This looks like the 60" looked in the store!"

Even the store salesman said, "dude, trust me - just get the 50. it is gonna look HUGE in your living room. IF you get the 60 its gonna look ridiculously absurdly huge", and he was right. I am glad i went with the 50.

Did you have this experience also?
Old 02-26-06, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you get that feeling for about a week before it begins to look small again.
Old 02-26-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, and I only have a 26" LCD. I think seeing it in store next to the 32 - 40 inch models as well as the larger DLP and Plasma displays at the time made it seem that much smaller. In my room however, it looks perfect.
Old 02-26-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, you get that feeling for about a week before it begins to look small again.
That's how I felt with my 56"
Old 02-26-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
I agree.
Old 02-26-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the same thing when I first got my 21" CRT computer monitor, but I'm used to it now. The first few days I'd just bust out laughing when I saw the thing sitting on my desk.
Old 02-26-06, 03:44 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by skiblet
Even the store salesman said, "dude, trust me - just get the 50. it is gonna look HUGE in your living room. IF you get the 60 its gonna look ridiculously absurdly huge", and he was right. I am glad i went with the 50.
Strange. It's always wisest to get the biggest set you have room for (and can afford). Like others have said, the perceived size of your TV will always shrink over time.
Old 02-26-06, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by skiblet
I've had my 64" nearly 3 years, and researched for several months prior to that. I have NEVER read anyone post that they bought too big. I have read countless posts from people wishing they had bought bigger.

I went straight from a 25" to 64", so it obviously was a huge change. But going to a 40" would have been a huge change as well. After only a couple weeks, that big [email protected]@ TV didn't seem all that big any more...
Old 02-27-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm another 50" SXRD guy, sitting about 7.5 feet away. Trust me, 60" would've been too big--like sitting in the front row of the movie theater. It would have been (even more) painful to watch anything on SD on a screen that size from that distance.