Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD player died...I Have a Best Buy GC and need some help)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-25-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know I have asked this question before (as have many others it seems), but I think I may have narrowed down my options and would like some opinions.

Ok, so here is my situation, I have a 55 inch rear projection Mits (CRT). I have about 100 dollars in gift cards at Best buy and my DVD player just died.

Some prefeerences, ok...I really have none, other than wanting the best picture I can get on my TV (for no more than 150 dollars, I know..you get what you pay for). From what I have read, the upconverting DVD players won't do much for me with my TV. I have no major need to play lots of DVD formats, mostly just renting and watching the movies I have.

I have looked more closely at a couple of players at Best Buy. the first is the Sony DVPNS50P/S...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1109233696237

My main concern with this one is that it doesn't have an optical output, but to be honest I don't really even know how important that feature is for me. It decodes DD and DTS, which I assume is a plus. It seems to have some good reviews out there.

the other one I am considering is the Phillips DVP642....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077624500910

this one has the optical output, but no DTS or DD decoding (is that even important if my receiver does the decoding?)

I am not sure about the other players that Best Buy has, most seem to be multi-disc or upconverting, neither of which I need. of course, it may be better to get one of the upconverting ones and just use component output and ignore the upconverting feature, but I am not sure.

Any opinions on these players or any others that best buy carries?

I know that Best Buy limits my options quite a bit, but I would rather not invest a lot of money in a high end DVD player with so much new technology right around the corner. plus, any DVD player will be a huge upgrade over my 7 year old non-progressive scan player that just died (I know, pathetic that I didn't have prog. scan with the tv I have).

As usual, I really appreciate any help that you guys can give me.
Old 02-25-06, 01:07 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally, I like the Philips 642 as a budget player. It can be easily made region free (which is the main reason I got it) and mine always had a nice picture (albeit on a 20" CRT). I've not used my 642 on my HDTV. It also did a fine job of NTSC-PAL conversions, IMO.

For the price I loved the player. I just retired mine to get an upconverting player when I upgraded my TV.
Old 02-25-06, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by mbs
Personally, I like the Philips 642 as a budget player. It can be easily made region free (which is the main reason I got it) and mine always had a nice picture (albeit on a 20" CRT). I've not used my 642 on my HDTV. It also did a fine job of NTSC-PAL conversions, IMO.

For the price I loved the player. I just retired mine to get an upconverting player when I upgraded my TV.

Thank you for the input. It has gotten a lot of good reviews for a budget player. Although I have read some negatives about the picture quality (maybe on the bigger tvs it makes more of a difference). Also, do you know if the lack of DD and DTS decoding is something to worry about? Can a receiver that decodes DD and DTS continue to decode if the DVD player doesn't do this?
Old 02-25-06, 01:57 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by dave-o
Thank you for the input. It has gotten a lot of good reviews for a budget player. Although I have read some negatives about the picture quality (maybe on the bigger tvs it makes more of a difference). Also, do you know if the lack of DD and DTS decoding is something to worry about? Can a receiver that decodes DD and DTS continue to decode if the DVD player doesn't do this?
The picture quality of the 642 is very likey based on the TV size (as most in this price range will). They are popular enough that you should get some good feedback on their use with larger sets. I do know that some people complained about build quality (getting a non-functional player or one that died right away). That is an issue with lower tier players, but seems to happen right away in the few cases where it does occur (and BestBuy will exchange it without problem, if you did have a problem).

DD and DTS decoding should not be an issue unless you planned on using multi-channel outs from your DVDp (something that the 642 doesn't have). Plug the optical (or digital coax -- the 642 has both) into your receiver and you won't miss a thing. Your receiver is meant to decode the audio anyhow, so no worries there. I prefer my receiver to decode the audio (I assume most people do), since that is why I have a receiver.

This player also plays DiVX files, if that is of interest. I played only one DiVX CD, and just to check it out, but I'm sure others can comment on that feature if it is something you are interested in.

Last edited by mbs; 02-25-06 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 02:02 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by dave-o
My main concern with this one is that it doesn't have an optical output, but to be honest I don't really even know how important that feature is for me.
It appears to have a digital coax out. So using that would be the ideal connection from this DVDp to your receiver (assuming your receiver has a digital coax in). AFAIK, there is no noticable difference between digital coax and optical connections when running reasonable length connections.
Old 02-25-06, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mbs
It appears to have a digital coax out. So using that would be the ideal connection from this DVDp to your receiver (assuming your receiver has a digital coax in). AFAIK, there is no noticable difference between digital coax and optical connections when running reasonable length connections.

Thanks for the help again.

I think I am going to get the Phillips one. It seems to be genrally thought of as the best bang for your buck (i.e. good and cheap). I will let you know how it looks on my tv after I get it hooked up.
Old 02-25-06, 02:16 PM

Well, I have now joined the 21st century (progressice scan and component hook-up). I didn't even realize that I had my old DVD player hooked up through composite...so between the fact that I am now using component and I now have progressive scan, my picture looks about a thousands times better. I know it was a sin to have the tv I have and not hook it up with these things, but I am a new man.

The picture looks amazing and I couldn't be happier right now, thanks for the help again.