Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LCD monitor as a tv question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Thinking of getting a Dell LCD monitor(24 inch 16x9) to use as a living room TV/computer monitor. Since the computer is in the living room, rather than haul it to a back room and buy a tv I figured I would upgrade my 13" CRT monitor and get a tv in one, kill two birds with one stone. I would hook up the computer, 5 disc dvd changer to the component input, satellite receiver to the composite input, and kick back on couch with remote control. I plan to watch mostly tv and dvds of old 4x3 movies and tv shows. Tired of watching tv in the basement. Just go down to basement to watch movies on the large 16x9 TV.
Are there burn in concerns with station logos or side bars from watching 4x3 programming? Do these monitors have the ability to "stretch" 4x3 programming to fill the sides? Any other concerns that maybe this isn't the best idea?
Old 02-24-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no burn in issues with lcd.Which model are you getting?
Old 02-25-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Premise
There are no burn in issues with lcd.Which model are you getting?
Definately a Dell 16x9. The 21" or 24". One thing I didn't think of and have to decide what to do about: audio for the dvd player and satellite.
Old 03-06-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you're running Windows MCE 2005 you will be just fine, other wise some things may get very screwy for you, also make sure you've got a damn good video card as if you have a cheap card there is no way in hell it will output 1920*1200 the dell is capable of doing natively. Also unless you are running Windows MCE 2005 your chances of the monitor stretching anything aren't good.

You could also check out the Samsung 23" and 26" LCD TVs as they both work as a computer display and are also both HD TV sets.

I was going to go your route, but after checking out the 23" Samsung LCD and the price I got the Samsung it works awesome as a computer monitor and great for HD games off my Xbox 360.