DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Found a Bookshelf for my Laserdiscs

Old 02-21-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Found a Bookshelf for my Laserdiscs

I bought a vertical storage unit that was perfect for my Laserdisc collection at IKEA this weekend and thought I'd pass along the information. The BONDE bookshelf was ideal for my needs. The storage unit is essentially four 15"X15"X15" cubes stacked vertically. I was able to fit 50 LD's on each tier with no problem with enough room get at them easily. The height and depth were a perfect fit, so that the discs can be recessed fully and you can still get you fingers in to browse through them. The unit comes in a three different colors. It was nice to finally get them out of the cardboard boxes I had been previously using and free up some floor space.

Last edited by chente; 02-21-06 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Expedit would also be a good choice, although it would take a VERY large collection to fill it if it was just for LD. It is essentially 4 times as big.
Old 02-21-06, 05:55 PM

Yeah I saw that one there. It is pretty cool looking if you have the wallspace for it and had other things to put on it. Being able to fit 200 LD with the Bonde is enough for me.
Old 02-22-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, those are nice. I have about 600 laserdiscs sitting on the floors of various rooms in my house so the Expedit may actually work out for me. Nice price too!
Old 02-22-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have the $150 5x5 Expedit, very nice unit. I only have about 15 LDs, though, so that's not what I use it for. I think all my LDs and LPs would fit on one shelf.
Old 02-22-06, 11:56 AM

I'd be worried about the weight if the shelves were full. They say 13kg/shelf on the Expedit.
Old 02-22-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You mean for the floor? I think that comes to about 600#/270kg for the 4x4 unit with each shelf at maximum weight. I suppose there could be an issue, but not much. If my wife, her brother and I stand next to each other we would be touching less floor area than the shelf would, and our combined weight would be at least 750#. Haven't crashed through any floors, yet.

If you are worried about it falling over.....It does come with L brackets for attaching to the wall as a support. I would recommend using them in studs. But that's for any shelf of a decent height, not just Expedit.

Our shelf is well used with books and whatnot, but far from max weight capacity.
Old 02-22-06, 06:16 PM

I'm thinking more about the shelves (above the bottom one). 29lbs. per cube/shelf seems pretty close, if not less, than the number of LDs would weigh, if full, in that space.

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-22-06 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-23-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm...you may be right. 50 LD's in a cube would be pretty heavy.
Old 02-23-06, 10:22 AM

If you don't care about looks (and I'm don't) or have more LDs than shame, there's good ol' industrial strength Metro wire shelving (the 'Joan Crawford') that holds 300lbs per shelf, in black, white or stainless steel. For that turn your townhouse-into-warehouse look, tres chic!

Target carries a 5-shelf knock off for about $39.

http://www.metro.com/consumer/produc...gory/0/group/0
Old 02-23-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use stackable wooden cubes. They're the right size, sturdy, and easily portable should I decide to move or rearrange the collection.

Old 02-23-06, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I use stackable wooden cubes. They're the right size, sturdy, and easily portable should I decide to move or rearrange the collection.

I started out looking for something like this but didn't find anything similar at 3 local hardware stores, Lowes or Home Depot so I gave Ikea a shot.
Old 02-23-06, 09:08 PM

Although I only have about 150 LDs, I have been considering the LP shelving by Boltz (without the caster wheels)

Boltz racks are pretty strong and these are designed to handle 180 discs per shelf

Old 02-26-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ooh, those boltz shelves are nice. They ain't cheap though. I'd probably need the 4-shelf unit and that baby is over $700

Those wood boxes are cool too.
Old 02-27-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Magiker

This is what we have, all the shelves are adjustable, and I was able to fit about 30-some LDs (nothing bigger than Jurasic Park CAV) on one side, with space above it for a cable box.
Old 07-12-06, 12:18 PM
Cool New Member

ok, bringing this thread back to life for a question with the expedit...looking to pick one up for my dvds, but my gf doesnt want an entire wall of the living room to be solid dvds so im trying to figure a way to make a double layer thing in each cube to cut the space taken up so she can make it more nice looking or whatever. i would need some kind of clear boxes that are 5 inches high by 13 wide and maybe 6-8 inches deep. is there anywhere you can get something like this like 12 of them other than cardboard boxes...any ideas ?? thanks