DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Rear Projection vs Plasma Questions

Old 02-20-06, 07:45 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 934
Rear Projection vs Plasma Questions

I've been doing a lot of reading about this and I'm confused. Everyone says the CRT is the best picture. I have a Sony 51 inch Rear Projection television, KP51WS500, I bought three years ago. I'm assuming that is a CRT or is CRT the actual tube TVs only and not rear projection. Just wondering which will have a better picture, a plasma or my current tv? I just bought a Zenith 50 inch plasma, Z50PX2D, which is being delivered on Saturday. I think the colors and detail looks better on the plasma but maybe I just haven't adjusted my TV correctly.

Next question has to do with room lighting. My living room is fairly light and I definitely see a glare on my rear projection TV especially when sitting off to the side. Will the plasma look worse in a room with lots of light or better?

Help! I'm just confused. Wondering if I'm throwing out money on something that won't be much of an improvement. If the only advantage is space for having a plasma, then I'm fine for now with my TV. Thanks in advance for your replies!!!

Last edited by Cyberock; 02-20-06 at 07:48 PM.
Cyberock is offline  
Old 02-20-06, 09:15 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,027
In general a properly calibrated CRT should give you the best picture. Many feel this means professionally calibrated which may run several hundred $$. However, picture quality can be considered a personal choice. Regardless what what has the "best picture", you may prefer one over the other, and that is all that really counts. It is possible you liked the pic of the Plasma when you saw it as they have the brightness cranked up and one of the 1st things people notice is brightness.

You will just have to see about the glare issue. To many variables to say.
Sdallnct is online now  
Old 02-25-06, 04:03 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by Cyberock
I've been doing a lot of reading about this and I'm confused. Everyone says the CRT is the best picture. I have a Sony 51 inch Rear Projection television, KP51WS500, I bought three years ago. I'm assuming that is a CRT or is CRT the actual tube TVs only and not rear projection. Just wondering which will have a better picture, a plasma or my current tv? I just bought a Zenith 50 inch plasma, Z50PX2D, which is being delivered on Saturday. I think the colors and detail looks better on the plasma but maybe I just haven't adjusted my TV correctly.

Next question has to do with room lighting. My living room is fairly light and I definitely see a glare on my rear projection TV especially when sitting off to the side. Will the plasma look worse in a room with lots of light or better?

Help! I'm just confused. Wondering if I'm throwing out money on something that won't be much of an improvement. If the only advantage is space for having a plasma, then I'm fine for now with my TV. Thanks in advance for your replies!!!

You have a Rear Projection TV NOT a CRT.

Yes...in general, a good quality plasma (e.g. Panasonic) will give you a picture with better "pop" color, black level, sharpness than your RPTV.
Freud is offline  
Old 02-25-06, 04:48 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by Freud
You have a Rear Projection TV NOT a CRT.

Yes...in general, a good quality plasma (e.g. Panasonic) will give you a picture with better "pop" color, black level, sharpness than your RPTV.
His rear projection TV is a CRT based tv. I do not know about the quality of his specific model, but I have always heard the opposite of what you said, especially concerning black levels and color reproduction. A properly calibrated CRT tv will produce the most accurate black level and colors (at least that is what most of the things I have read have said).

But as was already mentioned, everyone has their own personal preference about what is most pleasing to their eyes.
dave-o is offline  
Old 02-25-06, 06:43 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Heart of the Heart
Posts: 9,021
Originally Posted by Freud
You have a Rear Projection TV NOT a CRT.

Yes...in general, a good quality plasma (e.g. Panasonic) will give you a picture with better "pop" color, black level, sharpness than your RPTV.
yeah, as dave-o says his set is a CRT Rear Projection set. Rear projection comes in many flavors...and while the most popular today are LCD, DLP, and SXRD (LCOS), it is generally held that CRT still offers top picture quality (particularly blacks) when properly calibrated. The correctly calibrated part is the big key...and it's why most people are flocking to the newer technologies. Converging one's tv set is not high on most people's priorities, and is a big reason that technologies with fixed panel displays are so popular.
broadwayblue is offline  
Old 02-26-06, 11:21 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,027
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
and it's why most people are flocking to the newer technologies. Converging one's tv set is not high on most people's priorities, and is a big reason that technologies with fixed panel displays are so popular.
You think? Maybe? But I think the flock has more to do with the size factor of these new TV's. I mean who wouldn't want a big tv, but many do not want the the huge size of the CRT RP. I mean today you can put a 50" LCD RP in or on a standard TV stand. Something not possible before these technologies.

I think my wife is a prime example. Of course she wanted a bigger tv, but didn't want the TV to be the largest thing in the room. But now she has been out looking at the new Sony's on her own!
Sdallnct is online now  
Old 02-26-06, 05:58 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
I still don't like the picture quality of LCD TVs, they just look too raggedy to me, still.

I do like the SXRD Sony's, even though they aren't as thin as the flat screens, usually around 19"-21" in depth.
Patman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.