DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Over remorse...now any good HD quality material to view? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/456560-over-remorse-now-any-good-hd-quality-material-view.html)

corbin dallas 02-20-06 05:46 PM

Over remorse...now any good HD quality material to view?

Ok. So i'm over buyers remorse on the TV. Now I need some good source material to watch. I own plenty of DVD's but looking for that "special" one to wow the visitors. IMAX movies perhaps? Looking for suggestions.

scrotalsac187 02-20-06 07:23 PM

Well, most IMAX movies are only available in 4:3 on DVD, and would only be at 480p unless you upconvert them. Not very good to show off a widescreen TV with a 4:3 image. Discovery HD is the most likely to give you some beautiful images, and if you have Comcast, then INHD & INHD2 are very good channels. They repeat a lot of the same shows, so the wow factor dies down pretty soon.

Sdallnct 02-20-06 08:36 PM

Las Vegas is one of my favorite HD shows. Hot chicks in HD, doesn't get any better ;)

Also, CSI is very good in HD. It is such a dark show (when they are in the lab or whatever), I never could get my tv or PJ on SD to look good on it. But in HD it is awesome.

My wife was telling me she is watching a lot more of the Olympics since they are in HD.

uberjoe 02-20-06 09:24 PM

TNT's NBA broadcasts are gorgeous.

matome 02-21-06 09:51 AM

I second the Olympics, especially the ice dancers :)

Chew 02-21-06 10:16 AM

I would disagree, the NBC HD broadcast is not a good "wow" option. There's a lot of pixelization in anything fast or white (BTW, it's OTA for me). Being winter Olympics, that's just about everything. ;)

For TV dramas: CSI: Miami is the best.
For overall picture: NFL football (which is a little hard to get right now).

OTA is going to be your best bet over any of the compression being used by either cable or satellite, IMO.

Kromax 02-22-06 01:49 PM

Let me cast a vote for INHD (assuming you receive it). You know the picture is solid when you end up watching volleyball for an hour and a half. Men's volleyball. Oh, and those Bikini Photo Shoots are great demo material. Mmm...beads of sweat. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode of Tour de Gorge. Nothing like seeing an eating contest in HD!

Spiky 02-22-06 03:16 PM

There's always a JVC D-VHS deck and D-Theater tapes. That will be the best you can get right now. Until the high-rez discs are out.

clemente 02-22-06 06:03 PM

I would say CSI: Miami. I am not a fan of the show, but I always watch it after 24 because it looks so damn good. The shows saturated color scheme just pops of the screen.

The original CSI is pretty damn good looking too.

Kromax 02-23-06 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kromax
Let me cast a vote for INHD (assuming you receive it). You know the picture is solid when you end up watching volleyball for an hour and a half. Men's volleyball. Oh, and those Bikini Photo Shoots are great demo material. Mmm...beads of sweat. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode of Tour de Gorge. Nothing like seeing an eating contest in HD!

Whoah, I don't recall quoting my own post before, but the wife and I watched last night's episode of Tour de Gorge, and we were blown away. And disgusted. This is the stuff for which HD was made.

On a sadder note, why oh why do the NY Knicks have to suck so damn much? I can't even bear to watch the wonderful HD presentation on MSG--it's just too horrible.

Mr. Cinema 02-23-06 12:34 PM

ESPN HD is still the best channel, imo.

Also, Showtime HD shows all of their HD movies in OAR. Some are in true HD. HBO HD looks great, but they crop most of their movies.

shelland 02-23-06 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by corbin dallas
Now I need some good source material to watch. I own plenty of DVD's but looking for that "special" one to wow the visitors. IMAX movies perhaps? Looking for suggestions.

A lot depends on the HD channels you have available to you. If you mention what channels you receive, people might be able to give more specific recommendations...

A lot of the network shows look darn good in HD. As already mentioned, HDNet has some great looking stuff too. I haven't had INHD for nearly 2 years, but was a fan back when I had it.

corbin dallas 02-23-06 05:59 PM

i have comcast at the moment. I'm thinking INHD is gonna be best bet.

M Polo 02-24-06 10:11 AM

LOST in ABCHD looks great to me as well....

Walter Neff 02-27-06 03:12 PM

Keep an eye out for "Winged Migration" in HD. It plays on one of the HD channels on DirecTV regularly. Quite impressive in HD...

jailonacs99 03-03-06 10:38 PM

Discovery HD is a great one. The Tonight Show on NBC-HD also tends to look pretty good. If you have a HD DVR, then Sunrise Earth on the Discovery Channel looks amazing. Only plays at 4 AM and 7 AM though so it might be a good idea to save it for later showing. Great stuff to play in the background though at gatherings.

I'm also picking up a couple of IMAX films that I'm screening through Netflix. Even though they're 480p (they are 16x9 though), they still look pretty good. I find the underwater/reef ones look the best (e.g. Coral Reef Adventure). I had a chance to compare the Amazon Rain Forest DVD to an INHD showing of it and there was a clear difference in picture quality.