DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JVC hd70fh96 or Mitsubishi wd-73827?????

Old 02-19-06, 11:43 PM

JVC hd70fh96 or Mitsubishi wd-73827?????

Okay, I am torn between which one of these tv's to purchase. The 70 inch JVC 1080p or the Mits 73 inch diamond series, I like em both. Both got great reviews from Sound & Vision albiet the mitsubishi 60 inch version was reviewed. Need opinion on which t.v. is the better of the two and which one you would purchase if you had the option.
Any and all opinions will definately help and be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-20-06, 02:53 AM
AOD

If you are looking for opinions, I would go with the JVC. I've got the 56G (720p) and I love it. My buddy has the 73 inch Mits (WD-73927) and I see massive amounts of RBE. Although, it does have a very good picture. Of course that is just me. Both companies are good in their own right, but I think Lcos is the future, and JVC is at the head of the pack. I saw the 61" 1080p JVC set on display at Fry's the other day. Even with the signal being split 100 ways, it still looked better than any other set on the floor. I stood off to the side for a few minutes and everyone that looked at it said how much they liked it. For J6P to pick this TV out, I guess that is saying something, seeing how it was right next to a bunch of Plasmas. Now that Sony has jumped on board (SXRD), I think a lot more are on the way. Until they make a 3 chip DLP, I will stay far, far away. If I didn't already have my 56G I would get the 70". Of course, all this is my opinion.

Last edited by AOD; 02-20-06 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-20-06, 07:19 AM

I second the JVC.
I think that with JVC, you get a lot of bang for your buck!
My next tv will be a JVC HD-ILA, hopefully sometime this year. I have been looking at tvs for quite awhile now, and I think the best looking tvs out there are the JVC HD-ILA and the Sony SXRD. With an HD source hooked up to them, their pictures were exceptional!
Good luck with whichever you decide.
Old 02-20-06, 12:48 PM

Speaking of JVC... anyone heard anything good about the JVC AV-56WP30 I'Art Pro 56" Widescreen HDTV-Ready Rear-Projection TV (Black)?

I know a store where I can get it for a cool $1000. Brand new. Suggestions?
Old 02-20-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That JVC name is just silly. I'm tired of these lengthy number-and-letter combinations used as names for electronics. Give me something like the "Samsung Cougar."
Old 02-20-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better yet, let's get some serious organic into those OLED screens. I want to be able to tell people that my tv has realy panther in it.

You're right - consumer level electronics have awful names. The higher-end stuff is much cooler sounding. Wilson Sophia anyone? Krell Master Reference? Sony Qualia 004?
Old 02-21-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always though Mits was a superior product with TV's...usually ranking in the top level of TV's. I have a 55" Mits....but I'm sure things have changed over the years.
Old 02-21-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AOD
I saw the 61" 1080p JVC set on display at Fry's the other day. Even with the signal being split 100 ways, it still looked better than any other set on the floor. I stood off to the side for a few minutes and everyone that looked at it said how much they liked it. For J6P to pick this TV out, I guess that is saying something, seeing how it was right next to a bunch of Plasmas.
Yeah, but... Esp. with a j6p opinion, why exactly did this set look "better"? Most j6p's and even some av aficionados think pictures are "better" when they are more saturated and more highly contrasted. My criterion is, and always will be, whether a picture looks "natural" or not. And it is impossible to even tell what most sets are capable of in that category based on how they are set up in a store.
Old 02-21-06, 07:02 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by drmoze
Yeah, but... Esp. with a j6p opinion, why exactly did this set look "better"? Most j6p's and even some av aficionados think pictures are "better" when they are more saturated and more highly contrasted. My criterion is, and always will be, whether a picture looks "natural" or not. And it is impossible to even tell what most sets are capable of in that category based on how they are set up in a store.
I know, I was just using that as a very "loose" example. Most J6P's don't know OAR from a hole in the wall. I was just trying to get across that a lot of "home theater oriented individuals" (us here) and J6P agree the set looks good. Granted, most J6P's have no clue what to look for, It was just interesting to hear what they had to say. The few I listened to said things like "Wow, nice picture" and "This looks better than all the other ones" and so on. I say interesting, because, like I said, it was set up next to a bunch of 50" and up plasmas. If you will read my first post, I said "Even with the signal being split 100 ways, it still looked better than any other set on the floor.". I guess I should have expanded on this statement. Let me say this, I agree you cannot judge a TV picture in a big box store when the signal is being split a 100 ways to nowhere and none of the sets have been calibrated at all. The whole J6P statement wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I will tell the OP what is though. The HD-ILA's are fantastic sets. You will not be dissapointed if you buy one. The only thing i've used on mine so far is DVE and it looks exceptionally good. Straight out of the box, it is so bright, you would think you were looking at core of the sun. Just turn it down and it is all good.
Old 06-19-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I work at a CompUSA in Puerto Rico and last week we put on display the HD70FH96 HD-ILA Rear Projection TV. It is a great looking set but we hit a rather peculiar problem. We connected the X-Box 360 to said display via its VGA input but found that the display would squeeze the image between two pillar boxes. More preplexing is the fact that the display locked itself in that pillar box mode and would not allow us to stretch the image across the whole screen. Connecting the same console via on of the set's component inputs caused no such problems. Why is video passed through the VGA input locked in this pillar box mode?

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-20-06 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-20-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, what's the deal with the MSRP? http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...hId=125&page=1 It's $6999.95 and the set is selling here for $4299.98 (and not even on sale). Did someone at the JVC site screw up or is MSRP usually that far off when it comes to TV's?
Old 06-20-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd go with the Mitsubishi.
My last tv I bought is a Mitsubishi DLP and I plan to stick with Mitsubishi for any future purchases.