Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why so many low-level video and audio inputs on receivers??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-18-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking to get a new receiver and most of them have around 8 s-video inputs and, like, 10 rca audio (red/white) inputs? My question is: Why put in that many of either? If it's got component inputs or hdmi, then people would use that. Who would get a high end receiver and then use s-video? Or have 8 machines that ALL use S-video and you'd need all those inputs? I could understand 1 or 2 s-videos, but not 7. Here's a pic of what I mean:

Old 02-19-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First, most of the S-Video on this box is for a VCR. Second, it is always best to run video straight to the source if you do not need to switch. Third, this box has assignable component video. Fourth, receiver manufacturers are likely waiting out the format wars.
Old 02-19-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I understand. So, more or less the manufacturer wanted to provide the customer with what inputs they'd possibly need and since a lot of older equipment doesn't have the newer outputs, then it's a good idea to also load up on the older ones.
Old 02-19-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would be my take.
Old 02-19-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They put in one composite/Svideo video board and it can have as many inputs as space permits, I think. So they put in a composite and Svideo input for each audio input, unless it clearly won't use video like phono.

Many people need this many inputs, also. Only recently has anything needed any more than Svideo. I have DVD, LD, DVDR, Tivo, HDTivo, cassette and phono. Then I'll plug in video games and other things. Only the most recent games, DVD and HD sources need more than Svideo. And often times they need both. I run HDMI from my HDTivo directly to the TV, but I also run Svideo through the receiver for recording purposes.

Also depends on your TV. Some RPTVs have 7 inputs and pretty much negate the need for any switching in the receiver. My TV has only one of each input. I have several Svideo sources, one composite, one HDMI, and 1-5 component at the moment. So I need Svideo and component switching somewhere else.