Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me get over buyers remorse...just dropped 3k on tv

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much delay have finally upgraded tv to SamsungHL-R6178W 1080p DLP.
Whole shot with stand cost me $3300.00, good or bad deal?
Old 02-14-06, 06:04 PM

You got a pretty good deal on that TV, and the reviews are good. Is this before tax?

BTW, don't feel bad. I'm going to be getting a sony 50" grand wega SXRD. And with stand, warranty, and TV it will cost me well over $4000 after tax. .
Old 02-14-06, 06:22 PM

That's out the door tax included.

i see you're in Chicago area. If you can, price match at Grant's appliance(they will accept internet prices). My TV listed at 3999.99 the price I got the TV for was just slightly over 2800.00. Stand was 250.00 got for 199.99. plus they have free delivery. They do carry the new Sony as well.

Last edited by corbin dallas; 02-14-06 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Is this your first HD big-screen tv? Then you shouldn't be remorseful when parking yourself in front of it and enjoying true home theater in HD! Just try to avoid checking out how prices drop in ads in the future. I dropped a little more in Fall 2004 on a Mitsubishi WD62525 DLP, and haven't regretted it (and the prices haven't dropped too badly).
Old 02-14-06, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by corbin dallas
That's out the door tax included.

i see you're in Chicago area. If you can, price match at Grant's appliance(they will accept internet prices). My TV listed at 3999.99 the price I got the TV for was just slightly over 2800.00. Stand was 250.00 got for 199.99. plus they have free delivery. They do carry the new Sony as well.
Do they have a good warranty? I'm still undecided. That TV you got is looking pretty good too. I'm thinking maybe I should get a 60" if I'm gonna make the plunge. Would make a much nicer home movie theater experience. I guess I can pricematch a sony 60" at grants and call sony to see how good their extended warranty plan is. Where were you able to pricematch from BTW? (which site did they agree to pricematch)Thanks!!
Old 02-15-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's remorse? I put my big screen in last May. Haven't stopped smiling.
Old 02-15-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is my advice to help alleviate buyer's remorse:

sit down in front of the new tv with a glass of wine, a cold beer or a cocktail (or all three) and enjoy a movie or some HDTV. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
Old 02-15-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As long as you didnt finance it and paid cash for it, you should have no remorse what so ever...
Old 02-15-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you watched it yet? I bought two new TVs last year - the JVC 52 inch D-ILA and the Sony 34 inch XBR 960. I am very happy with both, and I would guess you will be with your purchase. I AM curious to know what you're "feeding" it - have at least 1 hi-def source for it or you really won't be taking advantage of the set.
Old 02-15-06, 05:39 PM

Teremei, Grants offers extended warraty up to 5 years.
Rocky, i have comcast hi-def service plus a couple of DVD's that are in high def.
Old 02-15-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool - on my JVC I have a DirecTV hi-def box running via HDMI, and on the Sony I have a Panasonic upconverting DVD player via HDMI. The Sony also has a built in hi-def tuner, so I bought an amplified antenna to pick those up.
Old 02-16-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Connect an Xbox360 to it and enable HD. Remorse gone.
Old 02-16-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by corbin dallas
After much delay have finally upgraded tv to SamsungHL-R6178W 1080p DLP.
Whole shot with stand cost me $3300.00, good or bad deal?
That's a great deal for that TV! I've seen the 6178W myself connected to Comcast HD cable at Fry's Electronics showing Discovery HD Theater channel and I was totally blown away by how amazingly clear the picture was.
Old 02-17-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$3300 for a freakin' TV?! You know there are children starving in Africa!

(Sorry, but this thread was getting too remorse-free )
Old 02-18-06, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
$3300 for a freakin' TV?! You know there are children starving in Africa!

(Sorry, but this thread was getting too remorse-free )
Haha! Killer!
Old 02-18-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to hear about the remorse (I also paid $3300-ish on my set), I am having the exact OPPOSITE reaction to my brand new Sony SXRD 50" !!!! It was all i could do today to tear myself away from this new toy to actually go outside of my house for the gym and errands!!

AND I DONT EVEN HAVE THE HDTV HOOKED UP YET!!!

DVDs look absolutely beautiful!! Vibrant, rich colors, bright, crisp, it just pops right off the screen. I watched my favorite scenes from LOTR, T2, Star Wars and caught myself several times with my mouth hanging open.

Even the SD channels look pretty nice. I absolutely cant wait to see a 1080 picture on this thing. hopefully monday or tuesday.

I will post pics soon.
Old 02-18-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by skiblet
Sorry to hear about the remorse (I also paid $3300-ish on my set), I am having the exact OPPOSITE reaction to my brand new Sony SXRD 50" !!!! It was all i could do today to tear myself away from this new toy to actually go outside of my house for the gym and errands!!

AND I DONT EVEN HAVE THE HDTV HOOKED UP YET!!!

DVDs look absolutely beautiful!! Vibrant, rich colors, bright, crisp, it just pops right off the screen. I watched my favorite scenes from LOTR, T2, Star Wars and caught myself several times with my mouth hanging open.

Even the SD channels look pretty nice. I absolutely cant wait to see a 1080 picture on this thing. hopefully monday or tuesday.

I will post pics soon.
What sort of signal are you sending from the DVD player? I read a review that said the SXRD looked best when fed 480i from the DVD player and letting the tv's scaler do all the processing.
Old 02-19-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
What sort of signal are you sending from the DVD player? I read a review that said the SXRD looked best when fed 480i from the DVD player and letting the tv's scaler do all the processing.

so far all i have done is run a 480 signal via S-video cable from my sony DVP NC615 DVD player into the "Video In" port, and in my honest opinion, the results are beautiful. I cant even imagine how insane its gonna look with a bluray DVD, and Hi Def!! I cant wait to get my comcast hidef channels.

I have rewatched all of my favorite DVDs, or the best scenes anyways, and they look absolutely crisp, and vibrant. I feel like i am seeing details for the very first time. Ive been so glued to the TV that i havent even done the tweaking and color adjustments, and cable management.

But, i also must add - This is a gigantic monumental upgrade for me, im upgrading from an old beat down 32" sanyo with a ghetto quality SD picture. So, this a world of difference for me.
Old 02-20-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

those sammys are very nice sets...just a little small imo. personally for 3k i'd have purchased an HD front projector ($1500) for my main 110" viewing, and an 42" ED plasma ($1500) for times when ambient light was too much of a factor. i just watched the super bowl on my cousin's 61" HD rear projector and even though it had a nice picture it just felt "small" compared to my 112" panny.
Old 02-20-06, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
those sammys are very nice sets...just a little small imo. personally for 3k i'd have purchased an HD front projector ($1500) for my main 110" viewing, and an 42" ED plasma ($1500) for times when ambient light was too much of a factor. i just watched the super bowl on my cousin's 61" HD rear projector and even though it had a nice picture it just felt "small" compared to my 112" panny.
I considered the front projector option. Personally would have preferred a 110" screen to drool at, but space limitations and limitations from my wife (damn women) forced me to go with the Sammy. I wanted the 71" but that would have been too large.