DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Samsung LN-R469D 46" LCD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/455318-samsung-ln-r469d-46-lcd.html)

bahgee 02-09-06 12:03 PM

Samsung LN-R469D 46" LCD

Considering purchasing this set for my main set for TV, Movies, DVD, and video games (xbox 360). Anyone have it? Feedback?

DVD Josh 02-09-06 12:18 PM

I would try AVS forum, a much more hardware dedicated site than this one.

bahgee 02-09-06 01:07 PM

Thanks, already did. Surpisingly, couldn't find much there.

DVD Josh 02-09-06 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by bahgee
Thanks, already did. Surpisingly, couldn't find much there.

You'll find even less here :)

BobDole42 02-09-06 01:18 PM

I have the 26 inch version. It's awesome for HD and xbox. That's an expensive tv - you have a lot of options in this price range.

Do you watch a lot of 4:3 material? The Samsung strech modes are awful. I don't mind it on the 26 inch, but on my 50 inch DLP (which uses the same stretch modes), 4:3 material looks pretty bad.

dick_grayson 02-09-06 01:22 PM

does this one have the D-NIE problem that other Samsung lcds have had? (or maybe that was just their plasma line)

by the way, I'd look into the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK plasma. It'll be a little less than the Samsung and has the best picture quality I've seen on a television.

bahgee 02-09-06 03:35 PM

Trying to stay away from plasmas due to burn-in and glare isues (tv will be facing 2 windows) I wasn't too crazy about the strech modes I read about on the Samsung either, compared to the 40" Sony Bravia I am also considering.

dick_grayson 02-09-06 03:42 PM

most people nowadays think that burn in isn't an issue any more. the Panasonic CEO recently said in an interview that there's no break in period (obviously, don't leave a static image on screen for hours on end). If light is an issue, then lcds may look pretty gray rather than black. panasonic plasmas have the deepest black you can get. I'd suggest considering a plasma. I was in the same boat as you months ago and was even looking at the same Samsung model, but after much research, I went with a plasma. There's a reason that a lot of people don't discuss the Sammy LCD and there's a ton of threads regarding the Panasonic Plasma.

BobDole42 02-09-06 04:37 PM

Before you drop this kind of cash, make sure you compare the sets you are considering in person - the sammy, the bravia, and any plasmas.

I think the picture on my samsung 26 inch lcd is damn near perfect and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm not sure what the larger ones look like, but I would imagine that they are pretty good.

dick_grayson is right - I wouldn't worry to much about burn-in. It's really not much of an issue these days. As for light control, I can watch the sammy LCD in an extremely bright room with good results.

BobDole42 02-09-06 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
There's a reason that a lot of people don't discuss the Sammy LCD and there's a ton of threads regarding the Panasonic Plasma.

Are you talking about the threads on AVS? Although I agree with you that the Panny is an awesome set, I wouldn't put too much weight into those AVS threads. While AVS is filled with a lot of very smart people, there are also many members who, for one reason or another, insist on claiming a product as superior with little or no evidence. I see this alot with respect to price/performance issues. I get the impression that some of the members are trying to get people on the bandwagon so they can feel better about buying a cheaper product. Case in point - the audio section is filled with people who insist that "pro" (read: guitar type) amps are just as good as high-end amps; there are also people who insist that a $300 receiver is just as good as any high-end pre/pro for HT.

Again, I don't think any of this applies to the Panasonic plasmas - they truly are great tvs and offer serious bang for the buck. I just couldn't resist an AVS rant :)

dick_grayson 02-09-06 04:49 PM

I completely agree. There's a ton of good and bad. I spent about 3 hours a day for a month or so sifting through the helpful threads and all the crap in between. I've got that panny myself, so that's the basis for my recommendation.

BobDole42 02-09-06 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I completely agree. There's a ton of good and bad. I spent about 3 hours a day for a month or so sifting through the helpful threads and all the crap in between. I've got that panny myself, so that's the basis for my recommendation.

I only ask my audio questions in the "Ultra High End 20k+" forum at AVS now. My entire system is barely over 25k, but that is the only place I feel like I can get a straight answer. Wading through those 300 page long threads is a nightmare.

I've seen the panny in action myself and completely agree with you - it's awesome.

bahgee 02-09-06 09:15 PM

Hmmm.... I might have to check out that Panny. I think my PC Richards has these (Sony, Sammy, Panny) all on display. Planning to check out during President's weekend.

bahgee 02-09-06 09:47 PM

Anyone playing xbox 360 on the Panny? Any issues w/ lag, etc?

fumanstan 02-09-06 11:27 PM

I just got the 26 inch version last night, the LN-R269D, and am pretty thrilled with it so far for TV and PS2 games. Although this is my first HDTV set and i'm coming from an old 20" CRT, so it's quite a difference since my experience is limited.

bahgee 02-10-06 08:39 AM

Did some research on the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK. Just want to confirm that it does not come with a stand or speakers? Also, what inputs does it come with? I see there are "blades" that can be added, but do any come with the set? How are blades installed? Is it difficult? Thanks.

Is there a comparable Panny plasma model that comes with the speakers, stand, and inputs?

dick_grayson 02-10-06 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bahgee
Did some research on the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK. Just want to confirm that it does not come with a stand or speakers? Also, what inputs does it come with? I see there are "blades" that can be added, but do any come with the set? How are blades installed? Is it difficult? Thanks.

Is there a comparable Panny plasma model that comes with the speakers, stand, and inputs?

yeah, it's a pro model, so no speakers, stand or tuners. I believe it's meant to be used as a wall mount, although there's a stand one can get that matches this or the 42" and 37" models. There are 3 slots in the back of the tv. One is for a pc, one is blank, and one has component. I took the blank one out and use a hdmi card in it's place. You can also put in a variety of other cards. The cards are about $150. Stand is about $175. For speakers, I use my receiver and send sound from my HD DVR using a digital optical cable.

Here's the link with a lot of info. on what this model can do (stand, cards, speakers) and so on:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...tGroupId=14624

If you're interested in a model with more bells and whistles (stand, speakers, built in cards), then I'd go with either the TH-50PX500U or the TH-50PX50U:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

Keep in mind that the newer models of the two listed above will be coming out in the spring or summer (so the models would be 600U or 60U). The price on the above two should drop as the new models come out. Also, there'll be a 65" 1080p coming out as well, but that'll be a lot more.

bahgee 02-11-06 11:50 PM

Thanks for the links. I was originally leaning toward the 40" Bravia XBR, but its just too small. Looking into the 46" Bravia or the 50" Panny 600u, both of which are not yet out. AVS forums report that the Panny will be available early March, which is perfect for my time horizon.