DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

SA-8300HD DVR question...

Old 02-06-06, 09:03 PM
Banned

SA-8300HD DVR question...

Guys,

Just got this machine today and it refuses to download the on-screen guide which is screwing everything up. Is there anything I can do to make it download it? I've tried unplugging it and resetting it and all that. Nothing will happen. Help!
Old 02-06-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What does the guide say? Does it say "no data available" or something similar in each program slot? Try scrolling forward in time a couple days, sometimes that can force a refresh.
Alternatively, just leave it alone overnight, it might do a full update overnight.
Old 02-06-06, 09:30 PM
Banned

NOTHING happens. When I push guide...nothing.

if i push info, it will show the channel but no data available. it's like the guide option was never loaded at all into the box.
Old 02-06-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Comcast DVR takes hours to download the guide data when it gets unplugged. Maybe it's just taking a while? If you're still not getting any guide data after a few hours you may need a new box. I would call the cable company first - sometimes they can send a reboot signal to your box that will fix the problem.
Old 02-06-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Weird. If you got it new today, I'd probably just leave it alone overnight. You could also call the cable company and ask them to do a full refresh, they basically reboot it from their office.
I've got an 8000HD, so my experience is not totally equivalent.

What does the 83000HD have that the 8000HD doesn't? Or if you don't know what the 8000 has, what cool things does the 8300HD do?

For what it's worth, the last time I had a service guy out here replacing my box, he said "I hate these damn things, these HDDVRs never work." He said the HD model was fine, and the DVR model was fine, but for some reason, the HDDVR model always had a lot of trouble. Of course, it could be software as well. Hopefully the 8300 is more stable. Unfortunately, I want HD, and I need a DVR, and this is cheaper and less annoying than using two boxes on the same tv [which I did]. Actually, what software do you have, SARA or Passport?

If you push 'List' what do you get? Also, can you access the channels you're supposed to be getting, if you type in the number directly?

Mine doesn't take hours to get the guide, if I lose all information, when I hit guide it takes maybe a minute to download, then if I go forward in time, maybe a minute or two for each day I go forward, and a few seconds if I scroll down any channels. I think every night it gets 7 or so days.
Old 02-06-06, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDole42
My Comcast DVR takes hours to download the guide data when it gets unplugged. Maybe it's just taking a while? If you're still not getting any guide data after a few hours you may need a new box. I would call the cable company first - sometimes they can send a reboot signal to your box that will fix the problem.
They already did. Didn't work.

I made an appointment for Friday. Problem is, there's a movie that I wanted to record from HD that's only airing tonight. Not again. So I guess I'm screwed.
Old 02-06-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
They already did. Didn't work.

I made an appointment for Friday. Problem is, there's a movie that I wanted to record from HD that's only airing tonight. Not again. So I guess I'm screwed.
that sucks. be sure to get them to credit your account for the time the DVR isn't working.
Old 02-06-06, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDole42
that sucks. be sure to get them to credit your account for the time the DVR isn't working.
It's only $8 a month. How much are they possibly going to credit it?
Old 02-07-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could always complain about the fact you missed a movie you really wanted to see during it's only showing. They might give you some free HD PPV passes or something.
Old 02-07-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should issue you a credit based on the whole cable bill (that can't be juste $8, right?). When my cable was out for a week, Comcast credited me for 7 days off my bill (total bill is ~$70)
Old 02-07-06, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
What does the 83000HD have that the 8000HD doesn't? Or if you don't know what the 8000 has, what cool things does the 8300HD do?
I think the main difference between the 8000 and 8300 is that the 8300 has a HDMI connection. I could tell the difference in picture quality through my component cables, but it could be psychological. I think the memory is the same.
Old 02-07-06, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chew
You could always complain about the fact you missed a movie you really wanted to see during it's only showing. They might give you some free HD PPV passes or something.
We don't have HDPPV. And actually...it worked. I got the movie. Now just to get it into my PC
Old 02-07-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by duse
I think the main difference between the 8000 and 8300 is that the 8300 has a HDMI connection. I could tell the difference in picture quality through my component cables, but it could be psychological. I think the memory is the same.

The 8000 has a DVI connection, so I use a DVI-HDMI cable.
Old 02-07-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, my 8000HD has a DVI output. Last time I called TWC, though, they hadn't 'activated' that output. And of course as my TV instruction book says there's no guarantee that it would be compatible 'due to varying standards'.
Old 02-07-06, 02:43 PM

Just get an 8300, if there is one available. It should not cost any different. what I did was to get an 8300, but kept the 8000 until I watched everything on the hard drive. TWC will not "save" you a 8300 where I live, so I was just lucky. I did not have to delete all my shows and carry around the 8000 in hopes of being able to swap it out. They pro-rate it on a daily basis, so even if you keep both for a week, it should only cost around $2 or so until you turn the 8000 in. They will not ever activate the DVI on the 8000, because the 8300 is available.
Old 02-10-06, 08:12 AM
Banned

Just got an answer...

I have a "hot box." The guy told me that it's broken (he also noticed that I'm getting EVERY channel possible) and that I'm going to have to get a new one.

But since I just recorded a crapload of stuff, I'm going to wait until I can get everything off of it.