DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anybody ever experienced this odd TV problem?

Old 02-06-06, 03:31 PM

Anybody ever experienced this odd TV problem?

Hi everybody-

Last night my wife and I were watching our TV, when all of a sudden the picture flickered and now it has an hourglass shape. That's really the best way to describe it. The picture now basically looks like this: )( -- with the picture in between, but the right and left side just black.

I checked all the settings to see if there was a setting where we could adjust the picture, and there isn't.

It's a 42" standard GE television. There's nothing on the GE website about this. It's a pretty old set, so maybe it's time has come.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen this before? Is there an easy/inexpensive fix for it, or do we have to buy a new TV?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something happened to the set's geometry. Probably permanent. You could try searching for "GE TV service menu" on the web. See if there's a way to get in there and modify the geometry. But it probably won't be fixable. Service menus can be dangerous since they can damage the TV, but that probably isn't much of an issue for you right now.
Old 02-06-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Until I saw it was an old set, I was going to suggest unplugging it for a time and then plugging it back in to reset the internals...
Old 02-06-06, 10:47 PM

^ Yeah, I already tried that. I left it unplugged overnight and, next morning, still had the same hourglass problem.

Thanks for the responses.

Guess it's time to invest in a new TV.
Old 02-06-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double Down
Hi everybody-

Last night my wife and I were watching our TV, when all of a sudden the picture flickered and now it has an hourglass shape. That's really the best way to describe it. The picture now basically looks like this: )( -- with the picture in between, but the right and left side just black.

I checked all the settings to see if there was a setting where we could adjust the picture, and there isn't.

It's a 42" standard GE television. There's nothing on the GE website about this. It's a pretty old set, so maybe it's time has come.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen this before? Is there an easy/inexpensive fix for it, or do we have to buy a new TV?

Thanks in advance.
This sounds to me like a blown picture tube. 42" Standard? You can't possibly mean a tube TV right?