DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Oppo OPDV971H and "Red Eye" Question

Old 02-05-06, 03:55 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 177
Westinghouse LTV-27w2 problem.

I got a question, anyone have this player and played the Widescreen edition DVD of "Red Eye" and notice some serious chroma errors? I have a Westinghouse LTV-27w2 television by the way.

Last edited by BMan100; 02-08-06 at 10:25 PM.
BMan100 is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 12:43 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,141
I don't recall seeing any on my Sony plasma. I don't recall if I was watching it via the HDMI or or not though... Was it throughout the movie or just on a specific scene or ???
nemein is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 02:08 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 177
I should be less "intense" about my statement - It's not like a horrible picture, but you can see rainbows on their faces and in the background if you really look hard, the more noticable parts is the dark scenes, especially when you see the plane getting ready to take off from the runway.
BMan100 is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 04:40 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,787
I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't say that your monitor is reference quality.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 05:33 PM
  #5  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't say that your monitor is reference quality.
What does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

FWIW, I just popped Red Eye into my Oppo. I didn't notice any glaring issues, but did a quick scan of the disc (I've not watched it yet). Is there a scene in particular that is most troublesome? You are using the DVI-out, right?
mbs is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 05:53 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 177
Yes, i'm using DVI-Out. The problem is sort of fixed though - You see, I live with roommates, so my own HD Television is in my room (It's a pretty small room). I was watching it late last night, sitting at my computer. The thing is my computer is right next to the television, so I guess I was sitting close to 4 and a half feet away from the television and noticed the chroma errors a bit more. Sitting around 6 and half feet away, where my futon is located, I noticed the chroma errors, but not as much as before.

Right now i'm using beta firmware (0126), because it supposedly improves 1080i performance on some displays. I was using the firmware 1022, because the current firmware (1111b) adjusts the picture more to the left on my monitor. So OPPO CS told me to download 1022 firmware.

But yes i'm still noticing the chroma errors, but not as much when sitting away from a certain distance. I guess I just have to stop being picky.

Mbs: If I look real hard I can notice the chroma errors in every scene, like on the walls and cheeks of people's faces, but the scene that I noticed it a lot was when the plane was ready to take off, circling the runway.
BMan100 is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 11:20 PM
  #7  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
I looked again and watched the first 45 mins of the movie and I'm definately not seeing any (chroma or other) issues with Red Eye and Oppo, even up close. I have the 1111b (Nov 2005) firmware.

Only other thing I can think of... which Video Mode are you using? I assume Video 2, but since I think they ship with Video 1 as the default, it is worth checking. For DVI-out, the output should be vastly superior using Video 2.

Last edited by mbs; 02-05-06 at 11:50 PM.
mbs is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 11:39 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,787
Originally Posted by mbs
What does that have to do with the subject of this thread?
Um...absolutely everything!?!!?!??!?!

OP asked about chroma errors, and my point was that it's much more likely that it's the DISPLAY rather than the Oppo or the DVD itself. Consider what YOU and other posters here are saying, that becomes more likely with each post.

That's all there is that.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-05-06, 11:48 PM
  #9  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
OP asked about chroma errors, and my point was that it's much more likely that it's the DISPLAY rather than the Oppo or the DVD itself.
While indeed he isn't going to get reference quality video with his monitor, it seems weird to me (maybe I'm missing something though) that his display would have an issue with one particular disc (this is assuming he doesn't see such errors with other discs on his Oppo). In my experience if it is a single disc that is causing a problem it is more likely to be the DVDp or DVD itself rather than the monitor.
mbs is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 08:00 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,787
Originally Posted by mbs
While indeed he isn't going to get reference quality video with his monitor, it seems weird to me (maybe I'm missing something though) that his display would have an issue with one particular disc (this is assuming he doesn't see such errors with other discs on his Oppo). In my experience if it is a single disc that is causing a problem it is more likely to be the DVDp or DVD itself rather than the monitor.
He never said he didn't have that problem with other DVDs.

I don't think I've ever heard of a DVD itself having chroma errors, however.

And plenty of displays have problems with certain discs while others don't. Strange but true.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 10:40 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
He never said he didn't have that problem with other DVDs.

I don't think I've ever heard of a DVD itself having chroma errors, however.

And plenty of displays have problems with certain discs while others don't. Strange but true.
Since you are an expert on "reference quality" video, please explain to us and the OP how a decent, albeit not top-of-the-line, monitor is the most likely cause of chroma errors. Your point that the OP didn't mention problems with other discs is quite odd considering he identified "Red Eye" as the problematic disc. If he had the same problem with other discs, don't you think he would have mentioned it? I'm not trying to bust your chops, but why give the guy a hard time? He's got a nice setup and a legitimate problem that could be caused by a problem with his Oppo's setup, cables, video settings, etc - why diss his display? Just for kicks, what is your monitor?

Last edited by BobDole42; 02-06-06 at 10:44 AM.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 02:22 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,787
Originally Posted by BobDole42
Since you are an expert on "reference quality" video, please explain to us and the OP how a decent, albeit not top-of-the-line, monitor is the most likely cause of chroma errors. Your point that the OP didn't mention problems with other discs is quite odd considering he identified "Red Eye" as the problematic disc. If he had the same problem with other discs, don't you think he would have mentioned it? I'm not trying to bust your chops, but why give the guy a hard time? He's got a nice setup and a legitimate problem that could be caused by a problem with his Oppo's setup, cables, video settings, etc - why diss his display? Just for kicks, what is your monitor?
The only person giving anyone a hard time here is you. It's certainly not me, which is why I said "I don't mean to be rude" at the beginning of my comment.

You obviously didn't read my posts in this thread. It's clearly NOT the disc, and since this player does not have a chroma bug, there's only one thing left, and you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.

Just to make it clear, OP, I am NOT busting your monitor. All I am saying is that it seems to me that the problem is either your monitor generally or it is not calibrated properly.

As for what I own, since you need to hear it, I have a Panasonic plasma.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 03:09 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Usually when someone says "I don't mean to be rude..." it means they are about to say something rude, but don't want to get called on it. In your case, the statement would have been fine -- although incomplete -- but was made rude and snide by the "I don't mean to be rude..." addition. You would have been fine if your initial post had included the explanations you added in subsequent posts.
uberjoe is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 03:15 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,787
Originally Posted by uberjoe
Usually when someone says "I don't mean to be rude..." it means they are about to say something rude, but don't want to get called on it. In your case, the statement would have been fine -- although incomplete -- but was made rude and snide by the "I don't mean to be rude..." addition. You would have been fine if your initial post had included the explanations you added in subsequent posts.
I appreciate the criticism Joe. I'll keep that in mind. Msg boards are tricky like that when it comes to tone. But those that know me here know that I'm not a rude guy at all.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 03:24 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
It's cool. I get into all sorts of trouble on IM for the same reason.
uberjoe is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 03:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,675
Originally Posted by uberjoe
Usually when someone says "I don't mean to be rude..." it means they are about to say something rude, but don't want to get called on it. In your case, the statement would have been fine -- although incomplete -- but was made rude and snide by the "I don't mean to be rude..." addition. You would have been fine if your initial post had included the explanations you added in subsequent posts.
That's exactly what I meant to say! Except I am a bit of a punk and got carried away. No hard feelings I hope, Josh.
BobDole42 is offline  
Old 02-06-06, 04:08 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,787
Originally Posted by BobDole42
That's exactly what I meant to say! Except I am a bit of a punk and got carried away. No hard feelings I hope, Josh.
Not at all!! Happy to make a new friend, even if he is a punk
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 02-08-06, 10:24 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 177
It's not the DVD... I just tested out other DVDs and i'm seeing lots of green, pink, dark purple tints in certain places. It's most likely the television. I even hooked up my roommate's jwin dvd player through AV connection and even though it was less visible, the I could still see the problem. I've talked to Westinghouse Customer Service and they said they've never heard anything like that before. They told me that there's a repair shop near me where I can drop the television off and see if they can fix it (free of charge thanks to the 1 year warranty). It's not only on my DVDs I can see it on television programming as well... and i'm noticing the pictures are very pixelated and blocky whether i'm watching HD programming or just regular. Oh well, I need to find some time to bring the television in. Also, I guess the reason I only referenced the movie "Red Eye" was because that was the only time I noticed it... But now i'm checking my other DVDs and i'm noticing it more and more - maybe something when wrong inside my monitor just recently?!? Oh well, hopefully it can be fixed.

Thanks for all the reply guys...

Last edited by BMan100; 02-08-06 at 10:31 PM.
BMan100 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.